• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Polyphonic Adventure - A New Frontier

Share/Bookmark

Polyphonic Adventure - A New Frontier

Do you remember that Seinfield episode where Kramer and the car salesman keep driving with the gas gauge showing empty just to see how far they could go???
    The obsession just struck me, but I'm seeing how full I can get the polyphony gauge.
    At 96% system- my GS3 orchestra achieved 442 voices - but I couldn't stop, even though I knew better- at 97% I got a whopping 444 voices but then my computer retired for the evening, or at least for a reboot... anything for just a few more.
    So I'm guessing my max is set at about 440 with stability and about 445 with life-threatening consequences.

I'm interested in seeing what some of the other users of this wonderful software are achieving- Polyphony envy?? a new threat to GS users?

Re: Polyphonic Adventure - A New Frontier

That was a great episode....takes me back to some of the stunts we used to do like that in high school, where it seems I was always running out of gas and sometimes even pulled up to the pump to put in 60 cents in (all I had) just to get to school or home or where ever.

Can you please state your system specs? I'm interested in knowing which systems are delivering which polyphony. I like to set a brick on the sustain pedal when I play my pianos (just kidding, don't jump all over me folks).

Mark
    www.marktrainer.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I don't get anywhere near that. My polyphony count is marginally better than it was under 2.x, but I think in my case it is a disk subsystem limitation.

I also bought Maxtors last time I re-upped disks, and I'm going back to WDs next time around. They seemed to be smoother, and the one WD I still have in the system is definitely performing better. That's what I get for sticker-shopping.

I have an XP3000+ system currently. That's where my MOBO tops out. I'll have to rebuild systems to be in the scary polyphony club, but in practical terms, I'm still getting great performance, and GigaPulse is adding immeasurably to my experience, so I'm pretty darn happy. I've got my polyphony clamped down to 200, so I don't get myself into trouble, haha.

Before the last BSOD and my subsequent uninstalling of Giga 3 I was able to achieve 527 voices. Too bad it keeps fragging my drive. That's a heck of a lot of polyphony. I want to push it higher, but I can't jeopardize my system for thrills.

Sorry- should've posted specs originally... I'm still recovering from "Crazy Polyphony".

XP Pro SP1
    MSI-6728
    2 GB RAM - two sticks
    2 10,000 Raptors - one for samples, one for audio capture
    2 7,200 WDC- for OS and GS3/Sequencer
    GS3 Orchestra
    Finale 04
    TERRATEC 24/96

Home-Built

Too bad you can't bounce a track of it

I was happy to get 256 voices out of my little system: AMD 2500+, 1 GB RAM, single Seagate ATA-V 7,200 RPM 120 GB sample drive. I'll keep the 256 voice governor attached to the throttle as I haven't seen a blue screen in a good while and plan to keep it that way.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Lickety-Split
    So I'm guessing my max is set at about 440 with stability and about 445 with life-threatening consequences.

I'm interested in seeing what some of the other users of this wonderful software are achieving- Polyphony envy?? a new threat to GS users?
    Well, this is encouraging. I was remembering where one of the developers reported getting 600 voices just before the software was released. Based on Bruce's results and those of others I was beginning to think that the 600 was an anamoly. Anybody else getting such results? I am thinking of having a system built and would love to get as much info as possible about a workable setup. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lickety-Split
    Sorry- should've posted specs originally... I'm still recovering from "Crazy Polyphony".

XP Pro SP1
    MSI-6728
    2 GB RAM - two sticks
    2 10,000 Raptors - one for samples, one for audio capture
    2 7,200 WDC- for OS and GS3/Sequencer
    GS3 Orchestra
    Finale 04
    TERRATEC 24/96

Home-Built
    .... and the chip? AMD or P4?
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

P4 3.2 HT Disabled- sorry again.
    Jason DeWater aka Lickety-Split
    Very busy, yet always unproductive.
    Some of my music is here: