• Register
  • Help

Topic: Disable Quicksearch "Monitor File Activity"

Share/Bookmark

Disable Quicksearch "Monitor File Activity"

I've been using my Giga PC to capture video from my DV camera when I'm not doing the Giga thing. Unfortunately, ever since I rebuilt the machine, it's been dropping frames. I did a clean WinXP SP1 install and performed all of my favorite tweaks, and no matter what I did, I'd lose a frame every minute or so.

Dropped frames during DV capture are a sure indication of problems with real-time processing.

I disabled the Quicksearch "Monitor File Activity", and now all is well. I've captured four hour-long tapes with zero frames dropped.

You can find the "MFA" option in the "File | GigaStudio Setup" menu.

It's really weird that this would occur. I had set Giga to only look at the sample drive. I capture video to my AV drive and also tried the system drive. I never had this problem with GS2.5.

This brings up an interesting situation: Quicksearch may be touching your audio drive every minute or two. Maybe this accounts for some crashing during audio capture. I haven't had the audio capture BSOD problem, so I don't know for sure, but it's worth a try.

Don't forget to run Quicksearch manually each time you modify your samples or touch your sample drive. I'd do it after each disk defrag as well.

If you turn off file monitoring and it fixes (or breaks) anything for you, let us all know your results.

-JF

Re: Disable Quicksearch "Monitor File Activity"

Interesting find. Its a nice feature, yet, it is another background task that inevitably will find a way to interfere with the machine's operations.

As for dropped frames, what program do you capture to ? As you may know DV timecode is the red-headed stepchild of video. It is not a linear TC, and some programs will look over its timecode breaks and other will not. Im lucky to have others digitize my video, and they are locked to a blackburst (house-sync).

And a little FYI: If your video program will allow - another way to avoid dropped frames is to capture the video and audio, from the deck, to separate drives. Of course, preferably on separate busses. In most cases, it should be acceptable to capture the audio to the system drive. Since it is essentially very little bandwidth 2 channel audio), but sometimes the video and audio to one drive is too much of a constant, and one little hiccup can push it to bottleneck, and consequently, cause a dropped frame or two.

-Scott

Thanks for the info, Scott. Interesting stuff there...

I'm using Vegas 5.0 to do my captures. Obviously, the Giga app is not running at the time, but msg32.exe always runs. The problem didn't exist with v2.54, so something in the GS3 Quicksearch has changed.

I enjoy playing with video. I worked for Grass Valley Group for over nine years in product development, so I'm fully infected with the video bug.

-JF

Can't point to anything specific, but my system does seem more stable with the file monitor disabled. I turned it off several days ago, and haven't had a crash since...

Regarding the audio capture problem- I thought that this could be the issue so I tried to record with this option disabled... same result. This is just my machine, perhaps disabling will help others with a similar problem capturing audio.
    Jason DeWater aka Lickety-Split
    Very busy, yet always unproductive.
    Some of my music is here:
    http://www.audiostreet.net/jasondewater

Lickety-Split,

It seems that the Terratec driver and it's interaction with GS3 is the culprit in your system. Hopefully, that will be resolved before long...

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Thanks for the info, Scott. Interesting stuff there...

I'm using Vegas 5.0 to do my captures. Obviously, the Giga app is not running at the time, but msg32.exe always runs. The problem didn't exist with v2.54, so something in the GS3 Quicksearch has changed.

I enjoy playing with video. I worked for Grass Valley Group for over nine years in product development, so I'm fully infected with the video bug.

-JF
    Oh cool !!! Are you a freelance consultant now ??

Does Vegas allow for seperate destination for audio and video captures ?

More like a "free consultant". I'm not charging enough!

I haven't seen an option for separating A & V when capturing. Then again, I rarely if ever drop frames on my tweaked machine - except when GS3 is quicksearching, that is...

-JF

Go Back to forum