I've been using my Giga PC to capture video from my DV camera when I'm not doing the Giga thing. Unfortunately, ever since I rebuilt the machine, it's been dropping frames. I did a clean WinXP SP1 install and performed all of my favorite tweaks, and no matter what I did, I'd lose a frame every minute or so.
Dropped frames during DV capture are a sure indication of problems with real-time processing.
I disabled the Quicksearch "Monitor File Activity", and now all is well. I've captured four hour-long tapes with zero frames dropped.
You can find the "MFA" option in the "File | GigaStudio Setup" menu.
It's really weird that this would occur. I had set Giga to only look at the sample drive. I capture video to my AV drive and also tried the system drive. I never had this problem with GS2.5.
This brings up an interesting situation: Quicksearch may be touching your audio drive every minute or two. Maybe this accounts for some crashing during audio capture. I haven't had the audio capture BSOD problem, so I don't know for sure, but it's worth a try.
Don't forget to run Quicksearch manually each time you modify your samples or touch your sample drive. I'd do it after each disk defrag as well.
If you turn off file monitoring and it fixes (or breaks) anything for you, let us all know your results.