• Register
  • Help

Topic: Suggestions: jazz solo trumpet multi-samples

Share/Bookmark

Suggestions: jazz solo trumpet multi-samples

As the title says: any suggestions on good jazz solo trumpet multi-samples? Mutes not necessary, but I'll take 'em -- I'm more interested in covering Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Chet Baker type sounds. Just about any format is OK; I'm proficient with Kontakt at this point, so I can rip something apart or build it from scratch.

I'm wondering if GPO's upcoming "big band" update might have something appropriate, but I'd also like to know if there are any dedicated libraries or sample sets.

Thanks,
    Keith

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Suggestions: jazz solo trumpet multi-samples

Pretty tough order, Keith. I'm a jazz trumpet player--it's my main axe.

Being very well accomplished in sampling skills, and that particular instrument's playing techniques, I've gotta tell you--anything approaching a Chet or Freddie capable library would be as big as the entirety of VSL, and it still wouldn't get there.

In legit trumpet playing, there are only a few accepted articulations, which are standardized, taught, and performed world wide. In jazz trumpet playing, any articulation or syllable goes...those are the tricks that give players their sound.

Big band is going to be slightly easier, because there's a similar wider variety of articulations, but less exposure. I have never found a trumpet library remotely capable of a legit trumpet solo, much less one that could handle jazz.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but boy would it be expensive to produce and cumbersome to use once built!!

I think the best promise for that kind of style in sampling is going to be a cross between sampling and physical modeling. But the conundrum is that the end user will have to be proficient and tasteful enough, and have a wind controller, most likely, in order to play such a thing.

At the end of the day...this is why God invented trumpets and session players. Some things just don't sample very easily.

hmm i had to smile while i was reading this post

first of all i would say that it's a pretty cool suggestion to do a jazz trumpet library.

@ bruce, i think to produce this library would be as hard as to produce every other library. you don't have to think from your point ... as a trumpet player.

for me, as a guitar player, every guitar library sucks, because no library can beat the sh!t ... and every violin player would say that about string libraries and really famous conductors who played with all orchestras over the world would prolly laugh if they'd hear a sampled piece even by vsl.

but it's usually always the way it goes: musicians buy libraries of an instrument the can't play. this is pretty much obvious. i can play guitar why should i buy a guitar library .... and you would need no trumpet library.

... but other people does.

we all know that sample libs don't substitute real instruments, but at least we get the sound and some articulations at least.
    and real soul and passion i heard in no sample demo until today.

my 2 cents

edit: oh wow, look at my posting count ... BA BA BAAA *headbang*

I bought Quantum Leap Brass during one of the East West sales and it was well worth it. It's got some Miles patches that work well enough - if the piece stays slow, melow and fairly monotonic. But Bruce is right, Big Band ensembles are a ton easier than an exposed, varied solo.

Sample libs are great for writing music and getting an idea as to what it will sound like. QLB can do that for you. It won't fool people into thinking that Maynard did a session in your living room.

The main thing is that QLB is recorded with Jazz/BigBand intentions, so it has a more aggressive edge than orchestral trumpet libs have. It has lots of special articulations, though you have to go easy on them or you start saying "oh yeah, that riff again". The good news is that the players are great, so the riffs have a nice performance quality about them.

QLB's biggest downside is the lack of velocity layers. For most matches there are only two. It was recorded in stereo, and they didn't nail the players shoes to the ground, so some notes have different images than others. That's okay. Narrow the stereo field and it blends right in.

Anyway, QLB won't be everything that you want, but it's probably better than any of the alternatives for jazz, big band and pop.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Waywyn
    oh wow, look at my posting count ... BA BA BAAA *headbang*

\m/ \m/

Quote Originally Posted by kbaccki
    As the title says: any suggestions on good jazz solo trumpet multi-samples? Mutes not necessary, but I'll take 'em -- I'm more interested in covering Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, Chet Baker type sounds. Just about any format is OK; I'm proficient with Kontakt at this point, so I can rip something apart or build it from scratch.

I'm wondering if GPO's upcoming "big band" update might have something appropriate, but I'd also like to know if there are any dedicated libraries or sample sets.

Thanks,
    Keith

Keith,

so many articulations! The only trumpet that I got to play virtually with that was not on the market was out of Berkley College. (Provieded by Donnie Christian) I used a falling trumpet in one of my Big Band scores called "Brazilain Festival" being considered for a movie on my website here:

http://www.alanrussell-music.com/Bra...20Festival.MP3

Description:

Brazilian Festival is an Original Latino composition having the Medium Brass, Legend Trumpet and Sweet Flute playing the lead melody. The following solos are The Archtop Gibson 1948 Guitar, Motif's Trombone, Borsendorfer Imperial Grand Piano, Bass and featuring Donnie Christian's Falling Bb Trumpet (sampled out of Berkley College) The Motif
    High Brass and Sax Ensemble lend some filling support. Leading the percussion is the Dr. Jazz Kit from the Motif 8 and Donnie Christian's Bongos in the background. The Borsendorfer Piano and Archtop Guitars (2nd Guitar stroking the chords) are from Bardstownaudio.com.

The tempo is set at 180BPM in the Key of Ab

The Jazz Genre is a tough cookie to tackle in the virtual environment.
    At least with the "Falling Trumpet" it offers a few squeezed sounds on fast rises and falls on elongated sounds. This is all in REAL time and not diesected or edited for the sake of creating articulations generically.

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

I have been dying for a jazz trumpet a la Miles or Freddie Hubbard.
    When Scarbee polled people on the next library he should make, I begged for a jazz trumpet.
    Yes, it would be very challenging but developpers have tackled the sax. Why not the trumpet?
    Since there are NO jazz solo trumpet libraries on the market right now, I guess a decent effort would generate some very reasonable sales.

PS: please don't hesitate to contact me in case you have a jazz trumpet library in the works and need demos. I just got my Denis Chambers loops and I'm ready to fire up some smoking fusion grooves

Thanks, all, for the feedback, and Alan for your demo. That confirms my suspicion that there really isn't much out there. Jon, I did think of QL brass, and I actually pulled a couple of trumpet samples off a "prosamples" disk to play around with. I know what you mean about the imaging.

Bruce, I hear what you're saying, but from my non-trumpet playing perspective, something that's maybe 1/20th of the ultimate trumpet library would still be a 100% improvement over my lack of trumpet playing ability. I look at a package like the scarbee bass and I see a lot of expressive functionality packed into a relatively simple and ergonomic package that fits together pretty well. A trumpet library at that relative level of complexity would still be light years ahead of, apparently, what is (not) available today. I'm also a minimalist -- I think a lot of expressive functionality should be able to be packed into a relatively small package. The assumption is that you're getting what you're paying for, which is not a seasoned session artist, but at least it's something (and good quality something at that).

I just got my Denis Chambers loops and I'm ready to fire up some smoking fusion grooves
    Ok, so trumpet players (and sax players and trombone players, etc.) are almost entirely immune from being emulated via sample libraries, but us drummers have to contend with Denis Chambers loops and fills? That's just not fair...

please don't hesitate to contact me in case you have a jazz trumpet library in the works and need demos
    ... because if there is anybody who can pull off a burning horn solo via guitar it is M. de Caumette.

Anywho, there are a bunch of players up here in the Boston area, I might just pay a decent instructor to come over and lay down a couple hours of trumpet articulatons for me...

- Keith

Hey man,
    thanks for your endorsement, very much appreciated.
    I just happen to love jazz and trumpet. Miles is one of my heros and Freddie did some amazing things as well...

Go Back to forum