• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Top of the line Sound Card?

Share/Bookmark

Top of the line Sound Card?

Is there one "no bones about it" top of the line sound card?

Sorry for all of the questions you guys, I tend to get rather thorough when I'm researching a new (ahem, expensive) toy.

Thanks

Re: Top of the line Sound Card?

Despite some initial problems with GS3 I like the RME HDSP line. Totalmix (the oncard mixer) is way cool. You can mix the GS-outs and your real-inputs kind of arbitrarily together without CPU intervention.

Coupled with Behringers 8 port ADAT I/O/Mic Preamp box, it's a great combo.

Talking Re: Top of the line Sound Card?

Well, I cannot speak about "Top of the line" per say, because to me, any card that works great and without making you suicidal trying to get it to work is "Top of the line" to me.

What I do know, is that the Echo Layla and Echo's other cards are some of the most widely used amongst the masses. It seems that Echo's cards are amongst those that most major developers check for compatability and use a reference as to how likely their programs are to be widely usable. And regarding the Layla, I have never had an issue that wasn't my own knuckleheaded fault.

The philosophy that has worked out for me in the pursuit of this thing we call "art" (through music), is based on one simple concept........Get the gear that the masses are buying so that you can actually '"write something" instead of fussing with your gear all the time, which is the #1 cause that keeps people(including myself) from their art.

So Echo gets my vote for stability, driver support, sound quality and over all probability of "continued market presence.

There are other great cards out there. I also Own a Delta 1010LT that again, has been flawless; and M-AUDIO is reasonably likely to be around over the years too. They both work seamlessly with Cubase SX3.0 and Gigastudio. SO that's my two cents.

And again as stated above, alot of guys really like the RME Hammerfall and others, but I am not qualified to comment on those because I have no first hand experience. Hope this helps. Hmmmm.... maybe I should write some music instead of playing around on the boards!!!!

Good luck!!

Top of the line in what respect ? Converters? I/O options ? Compatibility/Stability ?

There is never 'a best'

My opinion:

For converters, etc : Apogee, Lucid, and/or Benchmark lightpiped to RME or Lynx.

Although not "top of the line" I'm pretty pleased with my Delta 1010. If a better sound can be squeezed out of a card, honestly my ears are probably not good enough to hear it.

If you investigate the RME boards, you'll quickly see that when you cross a certain line, you really start paying alot.

Good luck.

Mark
    www.marktrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trainer
    Although not "top of the line" I'm pretty pleased with my Delta 1010.
    I would have to say the Delta 1010 is "top of the line".

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...2399e5e1497d20

He has 3 of them in one system.

I have a Delta 1010 and have never heard an RME. But Ive read many times from people who have compared them that RME is superior.

Yes well like I said I'm quite pleased with mine and they very well may be close to "top of the line" but if money is no object, the RME stuff has better specs.

When I outgrow my current Delta 1010, I plan to add another.

Mark
    www.marktrainer.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    I would have to say the Delta 1010 is "top of the line".

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...2399e5e1497d20

He has 3 of them in one system.
    Haha. You know Perlman? He can kiss my ***.

Actually, I love Ted...just kidding. He and I go back a ways. And Delta 1010s are very nice.

There is one caveat I'd mention...the MIDI port is not very well isolated. Turn up your mixer and run the Mod wheel up and down rapidly.

Zip zip zip zip zip...

I had to stop using mine in my live performance rig for that very reason, but I have it on a box that just does audio recording and playback, and it's perfect for that one.

The converters sound great, though.

I like the Echo products as well. I have three Laylas and three Ginas, all of which have served extremely well in a variety of machines and conditions. I have the Ginas on my theatre playback machines, and they are perfect for that. I use Laylas on my studio and live boxes.

If I were really going to get into recording, I'd probably lightpipe Benchmarks to the Laylas.

RME!!!
    it makes no sense to look into anything other.

get a HDSP 9652 or HDSP 9632 and chose the AD/DA converter you like or can pay.
    Digital AudionetworX

Go Back to forum