• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Project (new lib's/style for me) – some feedback/advice

Share/Bookmark

New Project (new lib's/style for me) – some feedback/advice

Hi all,

I have this project I am working on for a Director I had done some work for. He is currently producing a CD ROM for an on-line fitness company. This CD ROM is included in most HMO health packages. They hand you this packet of medical stuff when you start working at a company.

This on-line fitness company wants to have a higher profile and produce a 5-minute video showing all aspects of their service. There will be interviews, pictures of people being ‘active’, working out, etc.

The target market in 30-45 women (70%) wanting to loss weight in the privacy of their homes (avoiding the meat market work out clubs). I have a small bridge section towards the end to cover the male demographic (30%) and then I bring the two sounds together for the outro.

I would appreciate EQ, mix, ‘take that out – put this in’ kind of stuff advice. This is by far the best ‘bread and butter’ gig I have had and I want to get it right - lots of work to follow. I think many of you know that this is not my usual fare, but when the Director said ‘can I do this’ – of course I said ‘why, yes I can’

Many thanks.

Nobody Stoppin' You

Libraries:

VSL
    Virtual Guitar - acoustic and EE (thanks Dalamein for getting these to me so quickly)
    Backbeat Drums
    BT Nuskool
    Hard Core Bass

(If you want to hear how I sing – check out the ‘metal rap’ at 1:47 - made my kids laugh – probably at me )
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: New Project (new lib's/style for me) – some feedback/advice

Sorry - I got the hyperlink working now (my fault).

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Yup - sounds like a weight loss commercial to me...

As far EQ comments - the electric guitar after your rap sounds alittle "boxy" to me, perhaps a cut around 400 or 500 for that and a pump up at 3k on that instrument only. Of course, I like my guitars a la Nirvana's In Utero - which is not weight loss commercial friendly so...

The acoustic stuff sounds very nice and the strings really make the acoustic sections solid. I would leave those alone - they are perfect IMHO.

Good luck presenting this to them - they should love it.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    Yup - sounds like a weight loss commercial to me...

As far EQ comments - the electric guitar after your rap sounds alittle "boxy" to me, perhaps a cut around 400 or 500 for that and a pump up at 3k on that instrument only.
    Wow, Alan - great idea on the EQ for the guitar after the rap. I have been so close to this - didn't hear the boxiness until you mentioned it. I think taking the mud out at 400-500 is a good idea and I guess the 3K will give it a little sheen.

Thanks again.

Rob

(forgot to mention that the first few sections are intended when they only want music - no vocals.)
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Hi Rob,

Nice piece. I really like the energy, variety and optimism. Generally the mix is pretty good but my first impressions (the most important) are:

Opening acoustic strumming a little overpowering, the melodic acoustic is fighting to be heard. The vocals are well recorded and EQ'd but the dynamics need a little 'fader riding' or 'contouring' (as opposed to compression). The biggest issue for me was frequency clutter... when the 'whole band' is playing almost all the instruments are in a similar frequency range as the voice - I imagine if this is heard over smaller computer or tv speakers it may get a little mushy. Maybe try the strings an octave higher, and scoop some EQ out of the acoustic guitars to give the voice more room (in my experience clients are primarily listening to 'the words' above all else).

cheers, Mark TS

Thanks Mark for the feedback. I have already tried the stings an octave higher and they got 'brittle'. But I think the 'scooping out' of the other instruments (particularily the guitar) will help.

Most vocals are sitting at around 400-600 hz - right?

(BTW, the Director is a nut for guitar and asked for this level of guitars (I showed him an earlier version). I think if I scoop out the conflicting freq's we both can be happy.)

Thanks again.
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

As it's the 'meaty' end of the vocals you want to preserve the best thing to do is crank up the EQ gain on the vocals and sweep the frequency until the lower range of the voice is predominant. Make a mental note of the centre frequency and use that to apply cut to the guitars. You don't need to do too much, say -3dB to -5dB, and it's a good idea to vary the centre frequency slightly if you're applying cut to different instruments (you don't want to dig a hole in your mix). Also it's a good idea to check 'mono' at this point.

cheers, Mark TS

I have done some of the things suggested.

What do you think?

http://www.robelliottmusic.com/mp3s/...;%20%20You.mp3

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by mts
    As it's the 'meaty' end of the vocals you want to preserve the best thing to do is crank up the EQ gain on the vocals and sweep the frequency until the lower range of the voice is predominant. Make a mental note of the centre frequency and use that to apply cut to the guitars. You don't need to do too much, say -3dB to -5dB, and it's a good idea to vary the centre frequency slightly if you're applying cut to different instruments (you don't want to dig a hole in your mix). Also it's a good idea to check 'mono' at this point.

cheers, Mark TS

Wow, great tutorial on mixing Mark. Thanks.

I can really see the process you go through. I re-posted an updated mix without doing this last thing (we must have posted at the same time). I will experiment with your new suggestions / methods.

I really appreciate your wanting the 'meaty' part of the vocals to come through as the owner of this company only mention one singer - Bryan Adams (wife's favorite) - and now my favorite
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Rap guitars are much better now - perhaps it's just my playback system - but I preferred the acoustic guitar the way they were originally - oh well - to each their own.

Again Rob, good luck - hope the company digs it.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Go Back to forum