• Register
  • Help

Topic: Freeze function...

Share/Bookmark

Freeze function...

For those who are not familiar with freezing plugins under Cubase SX, it allows to render the audio output of each VST, so that they behave like they were active, when they are actually inactive. You can use the VST normally, but it does not take CPU or memory, making it possible use a large amount of VSTs without overloading the system. If you want to undo the freezing, you just click on the button again and it restores the VST to the initial state.

What I want to know is: Is there a similar function in other sequencers like Logic, DP, Sonar and others?

Re: Freeze function...

Quote Originally Posted by Guga Bernardo
    For those who are not familiar with freezing plugins under Cubase SX, it allows to render the audio output of each VST, so that they behave like they were active, when they are actually inactive. You can use the VST normally, but it does not take CPU or memory, making it possible use a large amount of VSTs without overloading the system. If you want to undo the freezing, you just click on the button again and it restores the VST to the initial state.

What I want to know is: Is there a similar function in other sequencers like Logic, DP, Sonar and others?
    Logic was the first to introduce it. Nuendo and Cubase soon followed (Nuendo 2 on mac still will only freeze VSTi - N3 will freeze all) Sonar 4 just introduced it. Cant speak for Sequioa, etc.

Sonar just added this in version 4.0.
    - Layne

From what i've heard from some people, the new freeze function in Sonar 4 is implemented a lot better than some of the existing freeze functions in other sequencers (this isn't just form Sonar guys either, several of them are people who have used and/or own other sequencers). As I have not recieved Sonar 4, I can't tell you how it is yet though...

Sonar's enhanced freeze function is really great. Starting with Sonar 1.0 it was called Archive, but it was the same concept. Sonar 4.0 just made it so you can do it with one click.

With the Sonar 4 freeze , you can
    - freeze any audio or dxi tracks
    - have an option to hide the associated midi track (with dxis)
    - have an option to unload the synth completely (freeing up ram and cpu)
    - once you freeze a synth you can 'quick unfreeze' which keeps the old freezed track around, but re-enables the synth so you can change something and quickly A/B your new stuff vs. the frozen track.

I think I got the major points.

I've never used any other freeze implementations to compare however.

-Eric

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Yes, I'd argue that Cakewalk actually introduced the concept in DOS back in the late 1980s, believe it or not, with the "archive" feature. At that time, the idea was to allow you to keep MIDI information in the sequence, but out of memory. Sounds bizarre today, but my 386DX-20 with a whopping 4MB of RAM was one of the fastest machines around the block in the early 90s, and still, I had to use Archive a lot, to keep alternate takes, etc., out of the way.

They did take their time on the SONAR 4 "freeze" implementation, but it came out very nicely.

The "freeze" in Cubase is pretty lame. Its actually faster to render yur midi in audio. And u cant edit a freeze in cubase like you can in other sequencers. I think frezze is better in Logic and Samplitude...

I wonder if they upgraded the freeze functionality in SX3...anyone give it a go yet?
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Pell
    The "freeze" in Cubase is pretty lame. Its actually faster to render yur midi in audio. And u cant edit a freeze in cubase like you can in other sequencers. I think frezze is better in Logic and Samplitude...

SONAR 4's freeze is awesome. I've read the descriptions of the others, and I'd have to say that SONAR's wins. Hopefully there will be a demo available soon so that you can try it out for yourself. You'll be impressed IMO.

Go Back to forum