Share/Bookmark

WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT SAMPLE ENGINE AND PLATFORM OF CHOICE

WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT SAMPLE ENGINE AND PLATFORM OF CHOICE

here are a few within our poll

EXS24
    Gigastudio
    Kontakt
    Motu Mach5
    Virtual Instruments [V.I's](EWQLSO/GPO/Stylus etc.)
    Vsampler 3

Re: WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT SAMPLE ENGINE AND PLATFORM OF CHOICE

Because it asks which is your sampler "of choice".

I have GS3, Kontakt and HAL3 for professional reasons - but only 'choose' to use one of those
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

I voted Kontakt PC, but as a mere humble home user, I only voted for what I happen to have. Because I purchased GPO, I was able to get Kontakt for the $199 summer special.

I think Kontakt is great, with awesome editing features I'm just (hopefully) beginning to learn how to use. But I can't say it's better than any other sampler or OS platform...

... so maybe I shouldn't have voted? It occurs to me now that the poll would be more interesting if limited to those who work with multiple options, and have a "choice" not based primarily on financial constraints.

The poll really should allow 2 choices---I'm running Halion and VIs, and wouldn't want to do without either.

Post Re: WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT SAMPLE ENGINE AND PLATFORM OF CHOICE

there must be a 2nd option. I use exs24 on mac, and dedicated Pc´s with Giga and 2nd with VI.. For me 1 computer and software combination is not enough..

One thing I find very interesting is that so far 110 people have voted, and Gigastudio is the clear favourite so far with 35%. The next favourite is Kontakt-PC with 17% (add 5% for Kontakt - mac). Then Virtual Instruments with 15% (+3% for mac). Yet some developers are not continuing to develop Gigastudio versions of their libraries. I hope this poll makes them think twice about totally abandoning Gigastudio.

Even if you add the total of Kontakt and Virtual Instruments (PC) together Gigastudio is still the leader.

Note to sample developers: it's time to come back to Gigastudio .

Unbelievers, flame all you want about GS3 problems. But lets face it regardless of these small initial problems Gigastudio clearly leads the poll!!!

Exclamation Re: WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT SAMPLE ENGINE AND PLATFORM OF CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by WayneSim
    Note to sample developers: it's time to come back to Gigastudio .
    1. This is not a scientific survey, as you have a disproportionate number of GigaStudio users here. As of today, they have no official support channel on the web - NS forums are as close as it gets.
    2. I remember the day when it was GigaStudio 100%, Kontakt 0%, and HALion 0% - and that was not so long ago - so to me the odds are in favor of those that have the momentum.

Check out the survey on K-v-R - GigaStudio gets only a couple of percent. The market for sample-based libraries has EXPLODED - and not only has GigaStudio seen their province shrink - they also seem to be ill-equipped to capitalize on the other tiers of customers that have developed recently. My money goes on the company that can succeed in all stratas of the market, and I wouldn't bet on a single-tier provider any more. Kontakt, HALion, EXS and bundled instruments make up a clear majority of the market - even in this survey - and it's not done yet... just like the story on the sample market itself.

If I were a sample developer, I would think twice or three times about developing for the GigaStudio platform - whose marketshare is clearly is in a steady decline.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

What Sharmy says. Given the multi-machine nature of the beast, I'm afraid the poll means very little if you can only pick one.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    If I were a sample developer, I would think twice or three times about developing for the GigaStudio platform - whose marketshare is clearly is in a steady decline.
    Thank goodness you are not a sample developer

I think GigaStudio is still well supported for "high-end" sample libraries. Of course, the high-end IS a niche market. East-West could make even more money if they also released their premium libraries in Giga format (they should do one as a test case -- say, perhaps EWQLSO Gold?).

It will be interesting to see how Native Instruments will do in the future. They have made some good money with "bundled library" licensing fees, but at what cost? Their release of innovative products has dropped off sharply, probably due to the amount of resources they have to devote to fixing bugs in their Kompakt/Kontakt "player" engines.

Exclamation Re: WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT SAMPLE ENGINE AND PLATFORM OF CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    I think GigaStudio is still well supported for "high-end" sample libraries. Of course, the high-end IS a niche market. East-West could make even more money if they also released their premium libraries in Giga format (they should do one as a test case -- say, perhaps EWQLSO Gold?).
    To a certain degree, I think you're right (and Sharmy too) - which closely resembles the assertion I made back in August that the future of GigaStudio lies in the hands of the developers. So many of them have burn marks from putting their livelihood in the hands of Nemesys/TASCAM that I'm not sure they're going to "go there" unless it's a product that's maps 1-to-1 to libraries they already have out for Kontakt and HALion.

It's a function of stability of the platform amungst the user base plus the willingness of developers to put the time in to develop for it. How much of that is one-after-the-other remains to be seen. I think that many of the libraries that came out right after GS3 was released were a product of programming converted from Kontakt and HALion format and tweaked for the GS platform. I wonder if any of the major sound library developers are going to take the time to invest in finding the "special places" in GS3? Only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    It will be interesting to see how Native Instruments will do in the future. They have made some good money with "bundled library" licensing fees, but at what cost? Their release of innovative products has dropped off sharply, probably due to the amount of resources they have to devote to fixing bugs in their Kompakt/Kontakt "player" engines.
    You're kidding, right? Their update to Kontakt 1.5 was a major overhaul of the engine, which now includes nearly all of the functions of Intakt plus improvements of their streaming engine. That's one of the main reasons why so many people have gone to it as their "desert island" sampler. I'd expect that the reason you've not heard about Kontakt version 2 is they're waiting for AES, Winter NAMM, or Musikmesse to put on a big show. NI has a lot more things going on than samplers, but Kontakt is far from seeing incremental updates and bug fixes.

I think that if there was a way to list all of the samplers used, and ranking according to "time on task" in the studio - you'd see GigaStudio further marginalized. There are simply too many Mac users running EXS, Kontakt, and HALion to be ignored. GigaStudio might be able to maintain its current position in the marketplace, but I can't see how they'd make any significant gains. It's a totally different playing field now. Like I said before - Nemesys and the Conextant Wavestream concept is what has brought us to the party, but there are a lot more dance partners these days.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast