• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does Tascam have a Tech Support E-mail?

Share/Bookmark

Does Tascam have a Tech Support E-mail?

By looking on the Tascam GIGA website, I see there is a Technical support phone number, but I don't see an official Tech Support email (just the general "query" form).

Does anyone know if there is any channel, (besides a phone call) to report GS3 bugs?

I think I have found a few installer/settings errors relating to GigaPulse, and I would like to formally document and submit them.

If not, I will just call them.

Thanks.

Re: Does Tascam have a Tech Support E-mail?

What errors did you find?

Yes, I too have been unable to find any email support address for GS3. This is really disturbing. I work in a (disciplined) software development environment and email is critical for collecting bug reports and putting them into the bug tracking system for efficient dispatch by the QA and developer folks. The absence of a formal bug reporting system for GS3 suggests a less-than-effective software development (or at least test/QA) organization.

I think those of us that are having serious problems are in for a long painful wait...

Freya

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    What errors did you find?
    I think I found some errors with the installer and its impact on the "default" GigaPulse "default bank file/mic impulse search paths".

Background
    As background, after not having used GS3 for a few days, I tried to launch GigaPulse and the software would crash. I could get to the "insert display" screen but if I selected any effect (VST, GigaPulse, or NFX) the program would crash. I then uninstalled GS3 and used "GigaClean" to wipe out my registry entries. I installed GS3 including the content.

Installer Problems
    As part of the GS3 install, you are given the option of specifying a location for the impulse content. The default is "D:\Tascam\GPulse\Common", but I specified a different location "C:\Program Files\Tascam\GPulse\Common". The impulses were installed in my location, but when I went into my "GigaStudio Settings, GigaPulse/Convolution" tab, my location was not listed, but the "D" location was. I added my location, but when I "unchecked" the default location, I again had the problem of not being able to insert any effects.

What I Did Then
    I uninstalled GS3 again, and then reinstalled. This time, the installer actually captured my "impulse" setting correctly, because only my "C:" file path showed up in the GigaStudio settings. The options I selected in this second install were slightly diferrent than the first.

Suspected Bugs
    1. The initial setting of the "default impulse location" variable needs to be examined, since there was at least one situation when it incorrectly set that variable.
    2. The program logic that occurs when one attempts to load an insert needs to be modified so that it will not crash if it can't find the correct files. Since I got GS3 to a state where it crashed on ANY insert when it couldn't find the GPulse files, locating that content (or the directory itself) must be critical

A Test for the "Brave"
    If you installed the impulse content to a DIFFERENT location than the default
    "D:\Tascam" one, try going into GigaStudio Settings (GigaPulse/Convolution tab) and unchecking the default path (keeping your real path checked). When I did this (I thought I was cleaning up an installer mistake), I was locked out of inserts (continual crashing) until I reinstalled.

A General Comment (a minor rant)
    I understand that crashes may be a part of GS3 when one "pushes it too far", but some of these crashes should NOT be occurring. As an example, when GS3 does its VST checking, it crashes when it can't process a "bad" VST. This should not occur. The program logic should be similar to Cakewalk's VST adapter, in that it should simply post some type of "there was an error loading this VST" message, then continue on, not crash.

I got lucky on this.

I let Tascam install the impulses to the default location. I then copied everything over to the location that I wanted. Next I added my path into the GS settings, checked it, and un checked the previous one. I'll now add any future impulse content to my preferred path.

That just happened to work smoothly.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines

Suspected Bugs
    1. The initial setting of the "default impulse location" variable needs to be examined, since there was at least one situation when it incorrectly set that variable.
    I too had problems when I tried to install the "content" to a different directory than the default. Reinstalling to the default directories fixed the problem for me. There's got to be a bug somewhere in there related to changing the default installation.

BTW: The old Nemesys tech support email says to use Custser@Tascam.com. I haven't received any reply besides the auto-response when you send mail, so who knows if it works.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

when GS3 does its VST checking, it crashes when it can't process a "bad" VST. This should not occur. The program logic should be similar to Cakewalk's VST adapter, in that it should simply post some type of "there was an error loading this VST" message, then continue on, not crash.
    That's a bit of a catch-22 at this point, for sure. But if a VST crashes the app, it will be marked and not loaded next time around...so you'll only see that behavior once.

I am using LIVE 4.03 on PC and it crashes everytime it scans a VST plug in that it's corrupted. It says in the manual that that behavior should happen only once but I have a feeling there's something else going on.
    I guess it's the same thing with Giga 3..

Yves

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    That's a bit of a catch-22 at this point, for sure. But if a VST crashes the app, it will be marked and not loaded next time around...so you'll only see that behavior once.
    Bruce,

Luckily you had posted a warning a while ago, so I was prepared (a few weeks ago) for all of the crashes I got going through my VSTs. I still think this probable bug should be fixed, since it could be very disconcerting to someone who wasn't expecting it.

Go Back to forum