• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can any1 from US help with this Mexican problem ?

Share/Bookmark

Question Can any1 from US help with this Mexican problem ?

I need to compose a Western Styled Mexican music.... like for a Movie that takes place in a Mexico in the 1890-1900... and i don't know where to look for examples.... some source of inspiration.... i know that it should be on 3/4
    and it should have a lot of brass but that's everything....
    some point to look for mp3s or better yet some MID's would be very helpfull.

Post Re: Can any1 from US help with this Mexican problem ?

You must search music from Juventino Rosas. his most famous waltz: "Sobre las olas" 1891 (over the waves)
    Serch music from Manuel M Ponce.he composed a lot of music, You must try "estrellita" but this piece is very romantic.
    In a general way music from 1890-1900 mexican first influence was French and European music.
    Folk music use generally violin, guitar, harp, guitarron(some kind of contrabass), and "salterio" (some kind of plucked string instrument, like psaltery, played with nails.)
    traditional orchestras use the same instruments than many others in US or Europe at this time.
    History of Mariachi Vargas, Mexican Most famous mariachi:
    To the south of Jalisco, in a small city called Tecalitlan the Mariachi Vargas was born. Founded by Don Gaspar Vargas in l897, and whose formation during those years was given by the: guitarra de golpe (or mariachera) played precisely by Don Gaspar, wooden harp by Manuel Mendoza, and two violins played by Lino Quintero and Refugio Hernandez. With these instruments was established the "Sonido Tecalitlan" which distinguished from the sound "Cocula".

The Mariachi from Cocula utilized the guitarron and the vihuela in place of the harp and the guitarra de golpe, besides the two violins. By the year 1913, Don Gaspar included one trumpet in the group but it was not well accepted, and in later performances its high-pitched sound was considered annoying. The cornet was replaced by another violin. The group consisted then of five elements. Silvestre Vargas, son of Don Gaspar Vargas joined as a violinist in 1921

Good luck
    Elith

Red face Re: Can any1 from US help with this Mexican problem ?

The problem is i need to compose the orchestral Mexico styled Track - 4 minutes long and it has to be dynamical what i see on the net (mp3s and other stuff) is rather slow....

Re: Can any1 from US help with this Mexican problem ?

Search for Manuel M Ponce music. and Juventino rosas, Cenobio Paniagua, Melesio Morales and felipe Villanueva, they wrote a lot of music.
    Here is an example:

http://www.poncemusic.com/espanol/co...erto_indx.html

Good Luck

Elith.

Go Back to forum