• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO Demo - Star Wars (Main Title)

Share/Bookmark

GPO Demo - Star Wars (Main Title)

A long time ago in a studio far, far away....

Hi everyone,

Here's one we all know and love: John Williams' superb Star Wars fanfare. I've transcribed it completely by ear (no scores were harmed in the making of this demo) and arranged it for GPO.

This track is all GPO - everything. I didn't use any other libraries whatsoever.

If you needed a reason to buy GPO - here it is :-) Shows off the brass, and there is some action for the strings (not much), and almost nothing for the woodwind. I tacked on a suitable Williamsian ending to finish it off, since I didn't want to do the whole track.

Play loud for best effect!

Williams, Transcr. & GPO Arr. John Hawksley - Star Wars Main Title

If you want to see how it was done, there's a MIDI rendering and the original Cubase project file here .

Hardest transcription I've ever done, getting all the inner brass parts and fiddly string/piccolo runs and all the swapping from 6/8 to 2/4 poly stuff. Lovely piece but more complicated than you imagine when you actually sit down and do the analysis. I love the result though, hope you like it too.

All the best everyone,

John.

PS - It was nice to meet a few people in the chat on Friday, despite the lag and net splits. I'll try to get back this Friday too.

Re: GPO Demo - Star Wars (Main Title)

That's amazing! Great work!

That must'ave taken ages to do.... Brilliant.

You're the bravest man on earth
    Bravo
    News & Music here.

Absolutely outstanding!! My congratulations to you.

Kind regards

LouisD

John, Wow!

Thanks a lot for the files....I wish folk would do that more....much appreciated.

You do have good ears!

Frank

Hey all,

thanks for the comments, firstly. It took me about 10 hours to do the whole transcription and sequence, split over two days. I threatened to have a go at it in the chat on Friday, and actually did the bulk on Saturday. I made about a page of (musical) notes on the trombone and tuba rhythms in the repeat of the 'A' section, but that was about all I wrote. Everything else got played straight in.

I had to spend a further two hours playing with the brass dynamics to get rid of crackling, and do the final recording.

Nino - not the bravest, maybe the stupidest!

Hardy - you're welcome. I'm not for a minute suggesting the sequence is an example of best practice. It's not at all, the CPR file will show up all of the cut and paste sections, overlapping and linked clips, unquantized passages, untidy bits and so on. But it may be useful to someone...

John.

Wow!! Great work!! Can I get a little nit-picky?? I'm going on memory here so I may be totally off-base but the second chord bass notes under the main melody feel wrong. You are going from a 1 chord to the 4. It seems to me like it should go to the fifth in the bass (with a 1 and the 4 in the higher voices, so you get a suspended chord). Anyway, like I said I may be way off. Either way it's a kick-butt job, especially doing it by ear. Bravo!!

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Wow!! Great work!! Can I get a little nit-picky?? I'm going on memory here so I may be totally off-base but the second chord bass notes under the main melody feel wrong. You are going from a 1 chord to the 4. It seems to me like it should go to the fifth in the bass (with a 1 and the 4 in the higher voices, so you get a suspended chord). Anyway, like I said I may be way off. Either way it's a kick-butt job, especially doing it by ear. Bravo!!
    Hey Fred, you could be right, it's so muddy down there with everything getting bounced around by the timps and tubas... Yeah, you could be right. I believe the trombones do have the V and IV of the scale (Eb and F in Bb maj) in their voicing so there's still the suspension in there, it's just not rooted on the V.

In any case, thanks for pointing it out, I reserve the right not to go back over it :-)

-John

Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley

In any case, thanks for pointing it out, I reserve the right not to go back over it :-)

-John
    I don't blame you

BTW, I just got the PC with GS3 fired up tonight for the first time! Loaded everything except GOS- I'll do that tomorrow. I'm still in shock. We played with GIGAharp for at least an hour with our jaws on the floor. I know I want to do a few mock-ups as a learning experience. I'm trying to figure out what, though.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast