• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Mars: Bringer of War - New Demo by Francesco

Share/Bookmark

Mars: Bringer of War - New Demo by Francesco

Francesco Marchetti has just submitted 'Mars: Bringer of War' from Gustav Holst 'The Planets' Suite.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/MARS-MP3.mp3

Holst brings us face to face with the horror of war in the most-famous movement in the Planets suite. Part of this will sound familiar to science fiction fans as there have been variations of this piece in various films. The relentless and aggressive march in 5/4 time evokes the martial rhythm of military drums and underscores the menacing melody. Ample use of GPO brass instruments reinforces the militaristic tone, with high trumpet fanfares rising above the ominous lower brass.

This is a work in progress and Francesco plans to finish the movement. In the meantime, please post your comments. If there are suggestions to improve this mockup, please share your thoughts.

Enjoy!

Gary Garritan

Re: Mars: Bringer of War - New Demo by Francesco

Really well done!

I honestly couldn't point out anything that needs improvement, except for the string "col legno"'s in the beginning, that sound a bit muddy (one can't really tell that the string play col legno). Also some of the runs that use the sus+short patches could use a tiny bit less accent (attack) on every note so they blend better together. But that's only my humble opinion...

Very, very well done! Bravo! Really amazing mockup! I like it!

By the way: Where did the "col legno" strings come from? I'm searching for some cheap (translate to "free" ) sounds of that kind.

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete

Very, very well done! Bravo! Really amazing mockup! I like it!

By the way: Where did the "col legno" strings come from? I'm searching for some cheap (translate to "free" ) sounds of that kind.
    This was 100% GPO. The col lego was simulated with pizz & percussion.

I love the contrabassoon in the opening. It's the most forbidding instrument ever. Overall a very nice realization, Francesco. Your work is always amazing. I am especially impressed with your clever recreation of col legno. I'm definitely going to try that.

I realize this mockup is still in progress; there were only a couple of thing that really stood out for me. The bass trombone is very intense. The sound really cuts through the ensemble; the last time I used it (can't remember if it's player 1 or 2) I cut the overall volume about 4 or 5db in an attempt to get it to balance with the rest of the brass.

For the most part, the ensemble balance is good, but I think you can get away with making the trumpets louder. I also think if you finess the the balance a bit more between the brass instruments and their respective overlays it will really punch the attacks even more.

I agree with Musicpete that a couple of the strings' accents could come back a little. For the most part, they sat well in the mix, as did the woodwinds and percussion.

I look forward to the final mix!

I've always liked this piece and this is a great performance of it. Kudos as well to the library it was made with!

one question. Was that using the current GPO that I own or the soon-to-be-released update version?

Ho..I'm sitting here listening to this and it just occurred to me that Hans Zimmer used this in Gladiator..
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

This is a really nice job!! If I was going to be picky and it were me doing it I would try and add some dynamics to the fast string passages at the end. Make them really start out as almost subliminal and build to that last climax. That's being really picky though. I always liked this piece at a slightly faster tempo as well- like it is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Francesco Marchetti has just submitted 'Mars: Bringer of War' from Gustav Holst 'The Planets' Suite.

This is a work in progress and Francesco plans to finish the movement. In the meantime, please post your comments. If there are suggestions to improve this mockup, please share your thoughts.
    Enjoy!
    Gary Garritan
    As someone who has played the prominent tenor tuba part in this piece 10-15 times:

1.I'd bring the tenor tuba out more at the octave Gs (written As in the score) in the beginning (I don't have the part in front of me).
    2. I'd make the tenor tuba a bit more in front and "angrier" at the first and second big solos. The first 3 Ds (written Es in the score) need more attack and bite. Mars is, after all, a pretty angry fellow.
    3. What sound are you using for the tenor tuba? A French Horn?? Or the mythical euphonium patch? Tuba 1 stretched? Can't tell--my sound system is not the best.
    I will listen more critically on another system tomorrow!

Maybe Houston has checked this out and can comment based on his experiences if he has played it!

I searched my recordings and don't have one of me playing it, but the first two comments above were pretty universal when I played it under various conductors.

Francesco, if you want a great brass workout, I suggest the first movement of Leos Janacek's Sinfonietta!

Many thanks to you for your wonderful work.

With respect...
    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Thumbs up Re: Mars: Bringer of War - New Demo by Francesco

Hi all,

First of all, wonderfull work!!!

I like the col legno effect very much, but I think it should sound a bit thinner. What I like the most is the impressive entrance in the fff tutti part around 1:24.

And some constructive criticism:

I find the tempo a bit slow for my taste. It gives the piece a majestic presence, quite similar to the rendition we can find in the EWQLSO demo page, but I think it would better show the "war" concept if played a bit faster and more agressive. I'm working on this mockup myself, and I'm using the "violent" approach but, of course, this is only a matter of personal taste.

2:17 - I can't remember right now how this is written in the score. But I find this string chords quite more effective if played staccato.

3:12 - The woodwinds runs need to be blured someway. Probably making the parts independent. This fragment sounds very chaotic when played by a real orchestra.

Good job Francesco!

Antón

Thumbs up Re: Mars: Bringer of War - New Demo by Francesco

Very impressive although I would love to feel more power in the tempo and more command in the percussion, which in this particular Holtz piece is very important because of the march, 5/4 configuration. Also, more staccato as a whole I felt needed more emphasis throughout although not too extensive.
    This is indeed quite an accomplishment and remarkable rendition and must have taken some painstaking hours to sequence and edit.
    I've played percussion through The Planets and can tell you the power behind the composition is intense! I can't wait to hear the completion.
    In addition, col legno could be more distinguishable.
    Nice work as Maestro!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum