• Register
  • Help

Topic: Organ Volume

Share/Bookmark

Organ Volume

I'm having trouble getting any variation in organ volume; my understanding is that organ is a velocity-based patch, and I've changed the velocity up and down in the graphic window of Overture SE but it always stays the same, forte. What am I missing?

Re: Organ Volume

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt
    I'm having trouble getting any variation in organ volume; my understanding is that organ is a velocity-based patch, and I've changed the velocity up and down in the graphic window of Overture SE but it always stays the same, forte. What am I missing?
    You can set the volume in GPO Studio, using the volume control knob at the lower right. There is, I think, an option to use the controls on your sequencer, but I have not used it. According to the GPO Guide, the pipe organ responds to Volume and reverb, but not velocity. When playing a "living" pipe organ, you must achieve your expression by means other than velocity, hence, GPO funtions likewise.

Falcon 1, care to add to this?

Richard Wayland

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt
    Gardibolt, Rwayland is right. There is no velocity with pipe organ keys or pedals.
    The real expression comes from the "expression" pedal which allows the player to increase or decrease the dynamics at which he/she wants to play. Depending on the settings of the real pipe organ, the expression pedal "brings in" additional stops/ranks of pipes, which increases the sound. The best way to achieve this with GPO that I have found, is to load a bunch of the stops/sounds and use the sequencer to fade in and out certain stops to create that sound. Another pedal on larger pipe organs opens and closes louvers that block the sound of the pipes that are behind it. Always remember that when a pipe is sounding, it is either on or off. Of course, the larger (lower, bigger) the pipe, the longer it takes to fill up with air and produce the pitch. A pipe organ really is a phenominal instrument, and really is a blast to imitate, with midi. In Digital Performer, I use very slow, slight chorusing, phase and EQ to create the illusion that the louvers are actually opening and closing. Hope this helps!
    DPDan

Lightbulb Re: Organ Volume

Organ keyboards are pretty much "on" or "off" so velocity in most circumstances means little. What you CAN control is the "Mod Wheel" (either while you are playing or in your sequencer after the fact by "drawing" or otherwise modifying the "mod wheel" data).

At least, that's what I've been doing. Sometimes I long for an "expression pedal" (especially when I want to play the organ part with two hands) but I get around that usually by setting the Kontakt "mod wheel" to an intermediate setting and then fine-tuning it (I use Cubase SX 2) later.

i hope this help ... KevinKauai

Thanks. Don't know where I got the idea that organ was velocity based---but at least it's working better now!

Go Back to forum