• Register
  • Help

Topic: why no sound?

Share/Bookmark

why no sound?

Hey all-

I've been reading these forums for the past month or two preparing to take the plunge, so I did it, and now I'm stuck.

First of all, I'm new to this sampling thing. I have a lot of experience recording regular old music both analog and on my DAW, and I've used some VSTi's in the past, but never a sampling app like GS3.

Ok, so I have a system dedicated to giga as follows:

P4 2.6GHz, 1G RAM, XP SP2, no other software but GS3
    M-Audio USB Midisport 2x2 midi interface
    Echo Mia (NOT MiaMIDI) audio card

I just got everything installed last night and attempted to play it.

I run GS3, load an instrument (in this case GigaPiano LE), set it to channel 1, try to play it. No sound comes out. Try to play it with the keyboard (QS8.1), no sound. Use the little picture of a keyboard in GS3, the keys darken as if they are being played but no sound.

Windows sound control panel, the "play sound" button will play sounds and I can hear them just fine. just nothing from giga.

When I play the keyboard I can see the MIDI activity LEDs blinking as if the interface is receiving, but no sounds from giga.

I have GS3 configured properly, at least according to the manual, to output sound to channels 1 & 2 of the Mia. I even tried setting it to all the other channels as well and listening to all of them. Nothing seems to work. I tried the MIDI monitor or whatever it is in GS3, it shows program changes but not note-on-note-off msg's.

What gives? Any clues? I didn't do an exhaustive read of the manual, but did exhaustively read the quick start guide and it didn't deal with the "how to get sound" thing... just assumed it would work.

Any help is appreciated (and FWIW, the whole purpose I put this machine together is to run the Black Grand... which I have not yet received in the mail).

Re: why no sound?

It seems that you're inches away from getting this thing working.

1) To confirm that the Giga signal is passing through the app, load an instrument, go to the DSP Master Output view, play the keyboard and see if the level meter responds. You may need to max your mod-wheel, depending on the instrument. If you don't see the meter respond, you'll need to go upstream to find the problem.

2) Confirm that your soundcard is working. Open Windows Media Player and play a wave file. If not, open the MIA control panel and watch for the output levels. Something may be muted, or configured to go only to the digital outputs.

BTW, I'd set Giga to channels 3/4 or something other than 1/2. I leave 1/2 for general media, 3/4 for Giga, 5/6 for Sonar, 7/8 for Vegas. You may need to adjust the levels for 3/4/5/6/7/8 in the MIA control panel to get everyting working.

Best of luck. You should be up and running soon.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    It seems that you're inches away from getting this thing working.
    That's what I thought...

1) To confirm that the Giga signal is passing through the app, load an instrument, go to the DSP Master Output view, play the keyboard and see if the level meter responds. You may need to max your mod-wheel, depending on the instrument. If you don't see the meter respond, you'll need to go upstream to find the problem.
    I did this. It does not respond. Doesn't respond when I play the graphical keyboard in Giga either.

2) Confirm that your soundcard is working. Open Windows Media Player and play a wave file. If not, open the MIA control panel and watch for the output levels. Something may be muted, or configured to go only to the digital outputs.
    I did this with the Windows sound control panel applet (which will play sounds if you open them and click the play button). Mia works fine. Sound comes out of both the analog and digital outs of 1/2 and I hear it in the monitors and see it on the digital in on my DAW machine.

So it seems the problem is internal to Giga... or so I'd think, since even playing Giga's little keyboard window will not make a sound.

BTW, I'd set Giga to channels 3/4 or something other than 1/2. I leave 1/2 for general media, 3/4 for Giga, 5/6 for Sonar, 7/8 for Vegas. You may need to adjust the levels for 3/4/5/6/7/8 in the MIA control panel to get everyting working.
    Well I'm going to leave it on 1/2 because I need to connect the digital outputs (which are copies of 1/2) to the input on my DAW. I don't use the machine for anything but Giga.

Thanks for the quick reply... I'll go home after work today and hack with it some more, but I already tried the stuff you suggested last night It's low-hanging fruit.

Okay, here's a stepstool to the next layer of fruit...

Make sure that the MIDI Mixer Channel is pointing to a DSP input, probably Mix1:2 (or is in Inp1:2?). Then go into the DSP window. I'm not at my machine now, but I believe that the DSP Input strip also has a meter. Make sure that all inserts and EQ are off, and that the faders are at unity. Any audio here?

At the bottom of the DSP Input strip is a tiny pulldown. It should be pointed to the MIA output, which actually goes through the output master.

Make sure that you're loading an instrument that doesn't have an impulse attached to it. (i.e. don't use GigaPiano II - just to keep things simple).

If you still don't get audio out, maybe it's a VST problem. Have you scanned for VSTs? Maybe there's one there that's incompatible.

Best of luck...

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Okay, here's a stepstool to the next layer of fruit...
    OK I'm ready!!

Make sure that the MIDI Mixer Channel is pointing to a DSP input, probably Mix1:2 (or is in Inp1:2?). Then go into the DSP window. I'm not at my machine now, but I believe that the DSP Input strip also has a meter. Make sure that all inserts and EQ are off, and that the faders are at unity. Any audio here?
    NO!!

At the bottom of the DSP Input strip is a tiny pulldown. It should be pointed to the MIA output, which actually goes through the output master.
    This is set up correctly (Mia 1/2)

Make sure that you're loading an instrument that doesn't have an impulse attached to it. (i.e. don't use GigaPiano II - just to keep things simple).
    Well the only things I have installed are GigaPiano II LE and something called "MegaPiano", but neither makes a sound.

If you still don't get audio out, maybe it's a VST problem. Have you scanned for VSTs? Maybe there's one there that's incompatible.

Best of luck...

-JF
    There are no VSTs. i just built this machine from scratch, installed XP + SP2, then installed GigaStudio 3 and that's IT.

Seems there is no MIDI...

When I push the "Play Audition Sample" button then the meter on the MIDI Mixer for channel 1 runs into the red as if it thinks it's doing something, but there is nothing on the meter in the DSP section for the same channel (or for any channel).

I feel like there must be something wrong with the MIDI.

When I turn on this "Play Audition Sample" button then in the MIDI Monitor I see note on and note off for D#3. But when I play the kb I don't see any MIDI messages in the MIDI Monitor.

If I play a wav file in Windows Sound Recorder I can hear it just fine.

So I'm thinking:

#1 the audition sample should work... it's not. something's broken between the MIDI Mixer/sample engine whatever and the Mia card

#2 I should see MIDI messages from my keyboard in the MIDI monitor. I'm not. So something's broken between the MIDI interface and the app.

Sounds to me like the app is running without being connected (really) to the sound card or the MIDI interface...

Can that be?

Am I missing something?

HYPERTHREADING!!!

dangit.

disabled hyperthreading, all is well.

oh, and even gigapiano II LE is wonderful... if BG is better, then I'm going to be stuck to the kb like glue.

Go Back to forum