• Register
  • Help

Topic: Baroque Harpsichord Duet: 0:55secs

Share/Bookmark

Baroque Harpsichord Duet: 0:55secs

Hello

Here's a peice I did some years ago. The original incarnation of this was on a Roland D110 because the harpsichord sound inspired me to buckle down and explore some ideas I had derived when introduced to Bach Branbdemburg Concertos.

http://www.glynpowell.pwp.blueyonder...Baroque-01.mp3

When redoing the two harpsichords with GPO, I let the left one .. the one which works with some of the percussive bass have the 'full' octaved sound as accessed by the left keyswitch.

The right, upper melodic harpsichord, I gave the thinner sound of the central keyswitch.

Garritan ambiance is the only other process before Rendering to MP3 at 190Kb/S

Best wishes

Glyn Powell

Re: Baroque Harpsichord Duet: 0:55secs

Hi Zenda

I really liked this piece. The Chromaticism is awesome. The mix between the two Harpsichords was nice, though it was hard to distinguish at times which was playing which notes. But as I said, this is a great piece. Well Done!!
    Do you have a score for this which you could provide for us to look at?

Thanks for sharing!
    Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zenda
    When redoing the two harpsichords with GPO, I let the left one .. the one which works with some of the percussive bass have the 'full' octaved sound as accessed by the left keyswitch.

The right, upper melodic harpsichord, I gave the thinner sound of the central keyswitch.
    I could listen to music like this all day, enjoyed it very much. Were you looking for dramatic stereo separation between the two, or were you going for a more integrated sound? Either way, it's fun stuff!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Jerry ... Thanks for listening .... It does not exist in score form, but I will create a midi file and post a link to it in this thread. When composing it, I had to do a few leaps of faith. I was going 'outside of my box'. There were times when I was replicating the distance of a previous interval wondering how if ever I would find my way back to the root not or chord!

Christopher ... you have caught on to the very element I was still unsure about when I posted this. At the moment I feel I have created ambiguity between the two instrumennts .. and I am not happy abou that.

I am going to study the samples a bit more closely .. because I berlieve that each harpsichord may welll have been stereo-mapped.

I seem to remember panning them .. Ahhh ... I remember ... like a bad dream. In Cubase, there are seperate 'handles' for the left and right channels when I am panning.

I took the left side of one and the right side of the other, and panned them a bit into the centre.

BUT This did NOT create the effect of two seperate instruments in a 'room' ... I bet I was working with a couple of full width CLOSE-UP stereo spreads.

Before importing the work into GPO, I had been working with outboard Roland D110 ... with two MONO instruments.

My wish had been to get two harpsichords side by side .. so there WOULD be a definite sense of two seperated instruments .... about 10 feet apart.

I did not want to set them up in the traditional classical concerrt stage piano duet positions.

I will do some more work and post a revision.

Thank you both for your encouragement and your feedback.

Best wishes

Glyn

Go Back to forum