• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale Human Playback/GPO

Share/Bookmark

Finale Human Playback/GPO

This is a quick test I did with Finale 2005/GPO. Took 1 hour total to do. All of the tempo changes were human playback's interpretations of phrases like: rit., poco rall. a tempo. All of the dynamic markings were entered as note expressions with the default velocity playback info. Human playback converted the dynamics & hairpins used in the violin part to modulation data. The same dynamics and hairpins in the piano were interpreted as velocity data. This Finale/GPO combination is really turning into an orchestral sketchpad.

Here's Schubert's Ave Maria. (Steinway piano & Guarneri violin)

Ave Maria

Jeff

Re: Finale Human Playback/GPO

For straight out of Finale this isn't as bad as I was expecting. You can tell that sustained notes are static, but the tempo changes add some flair to it. For a finished product you'd still need to export to midi, but the amount of work left in the piece would be greatly minimized. I am still sold on Overture's Graphic Window for my GPO optimization, but this is great for all you Finale users out there.

This is interesting. You know yourself how this compares to the real thing, I'm sure. Very surprisingly, the violin sounds better than the piano which is super mechanical.

Interesting

Frank

Hey Jeff,

WOW Compared with the previous 2004 version, the "human playback" in Finale is fantastic!!

For Finale users such as myself this really is VERY nice. Do you know if slurs are played with the legato tool? If so, then this, as Joseph says, takes a LOT of time out of the editing process in another MIDI app. And I am sure if you tweak stuff with Finale's Midi tool, this could sound even more realistic. I am sold! I just need to get the dough to upgrade to Finale 2005.

Thanks for sharing this!

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Jerry,

As far as I know human playback currently does not utilize the legato feature (sustain pedal) of GPO. I think it uses the traditional method of overlapping notes to achieve a legato feel. Perhaps this will be added in the future. What's new about 2005 is that if you take the time to edit any midi data, human playback will (if you choose) incorporate the midi edits into playback. Like Hardy mentioned I think the piano sounds a bit mechanical. This rendition that I posted was purely note input with dynamics, no additional midi edits. If the user takes the time to do further midi edits, the playback will obviously improve. It's nice that there are many choices that GPO users have with respect to playback powered by notation or sequencer software.

Jeff

Question Re: Finale Human Playback/GPO

I don't understand. Where is the human playback supposed to be, in which instrument?
    Styxx

Human Playback is Finale's terminology for automatic recognition of music notation symbols. If you put the word ritard or accel. in a piece of music, Finale will slow down or speed up when it sees those words. If you place a "tr" above a note, it's automatically trilled. Other musical symbols are now understood during playback accordingly. When it sees "mf" it will use CC#1 information for string and wind instruments and velocity information for keyboard and percussion. If it sees the word "cresc" or a hairpin crescendo, the music will get louder. If it sees the word "solo" it will boost that melodic line. You define a human playback style (classical, baroque, romantic, jazz, etc.) to set up the basic interpretation style, then you can fine tune other elements if you wish.

Hope that helps,
    Jeff

Jeff,

Very nice demonstration of the human playback feature.

I'll ask Robert about implementing the sustain pedal legato feature. The Guarneri sounded fantastic. For the piano, you have to set the pedal for normal sustain (rather than default legato). To get the normal sustain for the piano you may have to do two takes since the player only uses one global sustain pedal setting at a time.

Thanks for posting this and also explaing about the HP feature.

Gary

Go Back to forum