• Register
  • Help

Topic: anyone know a good site on BSOD?

Share/Bookmark

anyone know a good site on BSOD?

I got fed up and reinstalled my Win Xp last night do to random BSOD that pop up, usually some "driver" error, but sometimes lent me to think I had faulty RAM. Well then I thought hmm possibly a video driver problem. Any ways I have pretty much started from scratch and I am not getting Blue screens anymore (in general), mostly just random errors and "your system has recovered from a serriuos error" etc. I have installed both service packs 1 and 2, latest video drivers, I'll work on audio and everything else tonight. Any body have any thoughts? Specificly if you can point me to a place to isolate the problem. My thought and a good computer friend of mine pretty much agrees that it's software related, but I started fresh on my harddrive and the OS.
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Re: anyone know a good site on BSOD?

You should not get BSOD's in a cleanly built system (before adding extra software). There are some memory testers available. There was a link in the Giga forum for Prime95. This program stress tests your system and will turn up either bad RAM or overheating CPU problems. You can run Chkdsk in Windows and have it surface scan your hard drive for bad sectors.

Would you be using nVidia drivers by any chance?
    Had a similar problem with the latest official drivers, upgraded to latest beta drivers and it seems to have cured the trouble.

yes actualy I am. I have a friend looking at my system right now. He said the ram I'm using is putting out 2.6 volts and my board only supports 2.5 so I'm testing that right now, I'll try the video drivers as well, because I had swapped out the video card with another and that did cure some of the problems. Thanks for the input.

just in case anyone is curriuos, I ran some tests and I had a bad stick of ram. I also kept getting errors with my video card even though I made sure it was brand new and it was suported with my mother board, I went back to using an older video card and everything is running great now.

Go Back to forum