• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SCSI and GS performance

Share/Bookmark

SCSI and GS performance

As a little followup to my \"160 voices\" topic, I would like to find out if SCSI is a sure-fire solution - if SCSI drives with 5ms. seektimes will make GS do 160 unique voices without any problems. Anyone who tried this? I can see SCSI drives have become quite a bit cheaper than last time I took a look, so I might be interested in this solution. Also, are there any 10.000 RPM SCSI drives which are about as quiet as IDE Seagate Baracuda IV?

Re: SCSI and GS performance

Simon,
    I\'m sure you already know about this, but just in case you don\'t, this site is great for comparing drives:

http://www.storagereview.com/

Take care,
    Mark

James,

There is a better way of doing so...

If you wish to use two IDE drives to double the performance, I would recommend putting them on two seperate IDE channels (a cheap Ultra IDE card would provide you these).
    Then, create a spanned volume (Win2000 and XP only).

For example, if you have two 60gb IDE drives, you can create one volume (\"D:\" for example), which will hold both drives, and its perfomance will be twice better than a single drive (Windows will split the reading / writing equally between these two drives).

Cheap and friggin\' fast!

How would this idea of using 2 drives improve performance. What would determine which drive GS goes to for any one note. If a all samples for an instrument happen to be on one drive, wouldn\'t GS just go to that drive for all it\'s voices trying to play that instrument?
    Gabriel

True - the dual drive idea only works if the required notes are actually split among the drives. However, this is managable, I think. I can put my piano on drive 1 and my strings on drive two, for instance, and since I know the note density of the two MIDI tracks, it will work.

But you\'re right, if I try to do 160 note on only the piano, or only the strings, then it fails.

Originally posted by gabriels:
    How would this idea of using 2 drives improve performance. What would determine which drive GS goes to for any one note. If a all samples for an instrument happen to be on one drive, wouldn\'t GS just go to that drive for all it\'s voices trying to play that instrument?
    Gabriel
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Well, this makes sense after all. I\'d like to hear the results if you test your theory. I might go the same route.

I wonder how long it will be until we can put enough memory in our computers so we can dispense with the process of streaming off the drives. I wouldn\'t think we have too long to wait, and hopefully Tascam will take advantage of that to create software that doesn\'t have some of the drive induced weaknesses.
    Gabriel

I already have my GIGS spread across two different drives on two different channels though.

Or would a better idea be to simply get two big IDE drives and split gig files between them. This would idealistically have each drive only handling half the polyphony, hopefully reducing the affects of seek time, AND still be much cheaper than one SCSI drive.

Just an idea...

No no no, there is no need to manually split the files between drives, the feature I was talking about is called \"Striped Volume Set\", when two (or more) drives are formatted in Win2k/Xp to a Striped Volume Set, The OS will split the files equally between those drives.

What happens is, for example, if you copy Piano.GIG into drive D:, The OS starts writing in 64kb parts. First it writes 64kb to one drive, then 64kb to the other and so on, till the end of the file.

This way, when you read the sample from the hardrives, you get twice the speed since it has 2 ide channels to read from. (NEVER put them on the same channel, it will be a bottle-neck).

Eggman, ok that\'s called RAID.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum