• Register
  • Help

Topic: Thinking of switching from Giga to Kontakt...

Share/Bookmark

Thinking of switching from Giga to Kontakt...

Because of Giga not supporting 64-bit processors yet, I am thinking of using Kontakt to play my Steinway B (EastWest) and Emperor piano samples. I rarely (if ever) do more than one piano part at a time or perhaps GPO for small string parts........are there any known issues that should steer me away from this product as a replacement of Gigastudio?

Gigabyte K8NS Pro
    Athlon 64 3200
    1 gig Corsair 3700
    WD 120 Gig Raptor for gigasamples

Re: Thinking of switching from Giga to Kontakt...

I wouldn't necessarily suggest replacing Giga. If you want to add Kontakt, I think it will work fine given the comments of forum members who are using Kontakt.

You do realize that PMI's Emporer won't sound as good on Kontakt as it does in GS3, since you will be missing the convolution impulses.

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayjazz
    ...are there any known issues that should steer me away from this product as a replacement of Gigastudio?
    No.

Well, maybe if your libraries are in native .gig format, converting them may be very boring and time consuming, but for everything else I recomend a lot Kontakt.

Quote Originally Posted by Iplayjazz
    Because of Giga not supporting 64-bit processors yet, I am thinking of using Kontakt to play my Steinway B (EastWest) and Emperor piano samples. I rarely (if ever) do more than one piano part at a time or perhaps GPO for small string parts........are there any known issues that should steer me away from this product as a replacement of Gigastudio?

Gigabyte K8NS Pro
    Athlon 64 3200
    1 gig Corsair 3700
    WD 120 Gig Raptor for gigasamples
    KONTAKT is good but before buying it to use for GIGA import, I suggest you go to the NI site and look at the user forum for KONTAKT. Do a search on "GIGA".

http://www.native-instruments.com

Ed

I use Giga 3 on a PC, Giga 2.5 on my laptop and have Kontakt on a Mac and my laptop. I use both of them all the time and woulldn't think of eliminating either of them, they both have strengths.

The only thing is I used to be able to run both Giga 2.5 and Kontakt on my PC, but now with Giga 3, I have to use one or the other as if they are both open, only one of them will work.

Issues:

Kontakt doesn't support compressed samples: it has to expand each instrument into its separate wav files, taking up much space.

I like the sound of Kontakt, but hate the interface: when you have the virtual keyboard showing, the filter, ADSR, etc settings get pushed down to below the visible area of the screen--you have to do a lot of scrolling around to see things.

It's a little tricky to edit individual key or velocity regions or samples: you have to select them and assign them to a group. There's then no way to tell which samples belong to a group unless you remove all the other groups from view. This process adds several steps to something as basic as making the upper register of a piano sample have a longer release than lower registers.

Once you've split things into groups, it's hard to tell what settings apply to what groups: if for example you have three groups of samples and 3 separate ADSR envelopes (one for each group), there's no way to tell at a glance which envelope relates to which group, unless, again, you experiment with hiding all the groups except the one you want to edit. Not so confusing when you first create the groups--you can just add a new adsr envelope below the envelope for the entire multisample. However, if you close the instrument, and come back to it several days later, you're left trying to figure out what you did to what.

An alternative is to assign each sample to its own group, but then you're left having to create a new envelope for each note. A good feature, this ability to create groups, but it would be stronger if there was a setting that would let you click on one sample and the program would show visibly select all the other samples in its group.

(Or has someone found a way to keep track of all of this that I've missed?)

Go Back to forum