• Register
  • Help

Topic: New OS Hard Drive = Reauthorization?

Share/Bookmark

New OS Hard Drive = Reauthorization?

Well since Giga 3 has nuked my OS drive it looks like I need to either reinstall Windows, format and reinstall, or just start from scratch on a new drive. I know there are instances where you have to re-authorize the Kontakt products when making hardware changes, but I am unsure as to whether this would constitute a reauthorization. I have all my original codes and everything that were emailed to me. Does anyone know for sure if I can get away with adding a new OS hard drive without having to re-athorize the Kontakt products? If I do have to go through all that I may put it off a while longer. I'm not crippled, but the PC is just going haywire on me.

Re: New OS Hard Drive = Reauthorization?

If you format your hard drive and reinstall your OS you're going to have to get a new authorization from the NI website. I just had a problem sorta like that (not from GS3, but my comp was still running crappy and slow). Getting a new authorization isn't a big deal at all, just go the the NI website, cancel your old one, and get a new one.

Ahh, I just read you post again, if your adding a new hard drive for an OS I'm not positive, but I'd assume that you'd still have to re-authorize all of you NI products. If they aren't on your C drive, then you get a whole lot of problems (at least I did).

Ah, the joys of Giga 3.0!! Still can't get mine working right. Good thing it's on a dedicated machine. Wouldn't trust the program with anything else. The world revolves around Giga according to Tascam's point of view! Who else programs in kernal mode which bypasses the safety features built into the OS? Only Giga that I know of.

Joy? How about nightmare. I think I'm gonna stick with Kontakt from now on. I'll have it, in case I need it, but Kontakt is like 800 percent more stable. I'll deal with lower performance for stability anytime.

Do you guys know if just a reinstall of Windows would trigger a reauthorization? I may try that in the interim.

If you re-install Windows, most likely you will need to re-authorize since the system ID changes (especially if you reformat your drive which I always do). After you re-install Windows, install GPO and try your old key just to make sure. 99% chance it won’t work but just make sure.It really is no problem though. Just go to the NI site and kill your old registration and get a new one. I have had 2 computers and 4 hard drives go out, so I have done this a few times.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

I hate reauthorizing anything. Just thinking about calling the Windows hotline makes me steam.

I always wipe a drive when reinstalling Windows. Anything less is asking for it. All my Win systems have two hard drives. Thus, when one blows up, switch to the other, repeat
    The other rule is, if Windows works, NEVER UPDATE. Hopefully the GS3 machine, being dedicated and not having crud installed on it will stay solid. BTW, we run Sound Forge on a pc with Win98 still on it, and it works great.

Joseph,

I too find Kontakt much more stable than any version of Giga I've used. Get very few crashes in Kontakt. DFD is not as good as Giga's but it usually behaves and doesn't crash the whole computer. I don't think I've ever had a Giga crash that didn't cause a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I hate reauthorizing anything. Just thinking about calling the Windows hotline makes me steam.

If you dread calling up microsoft for authorization every after fresh install, do this. Install windows on a fresh hard drive, call up microsoft for re-authorization, install all programs and peripherals you need with latest drivers. Go into your C:Windows/System32 folder and look for a file called wpa.dbl and back that up into floppy or cd. Do a backup image of your drive (Drive Image or Ghost). If ever you need to reinstall windows, just copy the old wpa.dbl file back to windows/system32 and that should take care of it.

Go Back to forum