• Register
  • Help

Topic: Uneven MIDI Playback?

Share/Bookmark

Uneven MIDI Playback?

I've noticed a strange behavior with GS3/Finale on my system. After receiving GS3 Orchestra I chose a nice, slow piece for string orchestra and harp as my test drive- Mahler's Adagietto. I was very pleased with the result... very realistic.

Now I've been working with an original work for solo piano- and am not very pleased with my results. There seems to be a problem with the pulse- there is no accuracy in 16th note placement, even 8th notes tend to be just a little "off".

I made a sound demo of this very piece with GS2.54 and the same version of Finale 04- and this problem did not exist. Now with GS3 the playback is uneven on timing.

Any suggestions or similar issues by other users? I don't understand how this might be the fault of GS3- however, the same MIDI data piped through GS2.54 was perfect... the problem is critical in fast, syncopated, and contrapuntal passages- obviously.-

XP Pro SP1
    P4 3.2 HT disabled in bios
    MSI-6728
    2 GB RAM - two sticks
    2 10,000 Raptors - one for samples, one for audio capture
    2 7,200 WDC- for OS and GS3/Sequencer
    GS3 Orchestra
    Finale 04
    TERRATEC 24/96
    Jason DeWater aka Lickety-Split
    Very busy, yet always unproductive.
    Some of my music is here:
    http://www.audiostreet.net/jasondewater

Re: Uneven MIDI Playback?

Quote Originally Posted by Lickety-Split
    There seems to be a problem with the pulse- there is no accuracy in 16th note placement, even 8th notes tend to be just a little "off".
    Are you by any chance running in Rewire mode? I have similar horsepower on my machine, and when running Rewired to both Nuendo and Sonar I experienced this exact problem (inconsistent sixteenth notes even at ~60bpm). Ultimately, I solved the problem by using my sequencer on a second machine and sending midi to the GS box in the traditional, hardwired fashion.

Of course, this is all irrelevant if that's not the mode you're running in, but thought I'd offer the experiences in case it helps.

Thanks Christopher-
    I'm not using rewire at this point- and the sequencer is on the same machine- Finale 04, a cpu lightweight I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lickety-Split
    Thanks Christopher-
    I'm not using rewire at this point- and the sequencer is on the same machine- Finale 04, a cpu lightweight I believe.
    Hmmm. Well, that gets Rewire off the hook. However, I've heard from a number of people whose opinions I respect that GS3 really wants to be run on its own box. I don't know if that's relevant or if you have a completely different problem you're chasing. I may experiment with physically routing MIDI out of Sonar and back into GS3 on the same box and see if I can duplicate the problems you're having that way. I'll let you know what I come up with...

Christopher

Does Finale have a soft synth bundled with it. Make sure that's shut off. I had some problem with the Finale demo that I was able to resovle (I think I just killed those midiouts in one of their setups).

Actually, I was baking off Finale and Sibelius both (along with the OvertureSE that comes with GPO). Is there anyway to get Finale to notate a piano recording accross both staves? Both Sibelius and Overture seem to do this by default?

"Is there anyway to get Finale to notate a piano recording accross both staves? Both Sibelius and Overture seem to do this by default?"

Flying Ron,
    You can achieve cross-staff notation by entering the music into one staff- then using the NOTEMOVER tool- selecting the desired notes and dragging them to the other staff.
    Additional hint- I've found that using the HIDE REST tool is good to use with the cross-staves notation in Finale- just select the complete or partial measure of the staff you dragged the notes to- and then select the hide rests function- this way there are no strange rests cluttering your print.

I'll double-check the synth setting in Finale in the meantime- thanks.

I'm happy to report that MIDI playback is perfect on my machine now- it actually just took some small changes in the buffer settings on my TERRATEC EWX 24/96- these settings worked fine with GS2.54 but I needed to increase the buffer size to the max to get same result with GS3--
    Very happy with GS3- now if only I could post some my musical results-- still no audio capture in GS3.01.

Go Back to forum