• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help!

Share/Bookmark

Help!

I've just acquired QLPSO and have have been attempting to incorporate it into to my existing sequencer setup,which,roughly,is: Logic Pro 6.4.2 on a Mac G5 dual 2.0.4 Gig RAM.Here's the problem:I can't acheive more than 26 instances of Kompakt,though I wish to.My quota of objects is not exhausted:I can attain more instances of EXS,which at the moment totals around 32.Other instruments include:Atmosphere,Stylus,StormDrum,Absynth,Albino ,but these are all removed from their slots.

I've tried removing some EXS's to no avail.When I attempt to load any more than 26 Kompakts,the dreaded rotating beachball starts up,and it just keeps on going round and round,until I have to force quit Logic.Does anyone please have any idea as to why this might be happening?Thanks in advance.

Re: Help!

Quote Originally Posted by strawinsky
    I've just acquired QLPSO and have have been attempting to incorporate it into to my existing sequencer setup,which,roughly,is: Logic Pro 6.4.2 on a Mac G5 dual 2.0.4 Gig RAM.Here's the problem:I can't acheive more than 26 instances of Kompakt,though I wish to.My quota of objects is not exhausted:I can attain more instances of EXS,which at the moment totals around 32.Other instruments include:Atmosphere,Stylus,StormDrum,Absynth,Albino ,but these are all removed from their slots.

I've tried removing some EXS's to no avail.When I attempt to load any more than 26 Kompakts,the dreaded rotating beachball starts up,and it just keeps on going round and round,until I have to force quit Logic.Does anyone please have any idea as to why this might be happening?Thanks in advance.

Nick or Doug, I would be interested in the answer to this too please.

Many thanks

See post below -- my info was incorrect so I removed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    From posts I have read, these "player" instances don't really take up that much memory; it is the associated samples that eat memory.
    not true. Each instance of Kompakt will take up as much Ram as quoted in the "reserved voices" under the DFD settings. Watch your ram useage in activity monitor as you instantiate each one. The better idea is to cable a Multi-instrument into the AI channel and use Kompakt multi-timbrally...

regards,

Mike

I've solved the problem:I'm using it in Multi mode now,as suggested by Mike,though I didn't see his post 'til afterwards.This means I can have eight parts in one instance,so long as they have seperate objects in Logic (ie:seven copies of the original,all set to their correct MIDI channel,etc).This is not explained at all in the manual,so I had to figure it out,myself,since I don't normally use EXS's in that way.I now have an enormous environment layer given over to the QLSO.I still run into RAM deficiency,though,but not as much as when I was using one instance per part.I then removed all the plugin instruments from the instances ,so that the objects,all meticulously labelled,will load in a song very quickly as blanks,then I can load them up with the custom multis I created,as and when required.This means I can import that layer to any Logic song easily and efficiently.Worth the time invested.

RAM is definitely the thing.Hi Paul, nice to slum it once in a while!

Perhaps you're already doing this, but thought I would add: make sure before loading any instruments that you set DFD to active. Otherwise the samples will be drawing from RAM and not streaming from the hard drive.

The major problem there is that if you change one volume they all change. Use cc11 (expression) instead. Perhaps Pro7 will solve this issue.
    Chris

Oh,yes,DFD is a given.I'd be in real trouble without that.I had not,at this early stage,realised the simultaneous volume phenomenon.Dammit!It's a minefield.It's not truly multitimbral,then if it can't handle each part independantly:is this a Logic thing,or Kompakt?Thanks for the input,guys.I daren't use L7 yet:Kompakt crashes 6 enough as it is,though I suspect it's fine when everything is loaded up and ready to go.It really doesn't like opening Kompakt at times.

Chris,I now have a complete environment layer set up for Plat.QLSO.Thank God that's done.I see what you mean by the volume control imposing itself on all eight parts of a mutli.Do you know where I can change this to cc11,as you recommended?There doesn't appear to be anywhere in the Kompakt interface that this can be done.Thanks.

Go Back to forum