• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wanna Perform Rach3 on a Half Day's Notice?

Share/Bookmark

Wanna Perform Rach3 on a Half Day's Notice?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Here's an amazing story.

Louis Lortie was to perform Sergei Rachmaninoff's Third Piano Concerto on three consecutive nights. At 6pm, just before the second performance, he called his manager to tell that he had crippling pain in his right hand that made it impossible for him to play.

Carlos Kalmar, the symphony's conductor, heard about the crisis when he wrapped up his preconcert talk 30 minutes before curtain. They had to choose a new program, distribute the scores and perform to a 2,300 person audience - cold.

The next day they found a replacement pianist for the 3rd concert date. Yakov Kasman hadn't played the piece since March, and he was in Alabama. The concert was in Portland. The plane would leave in 90 minutes. Talk about pressure!

You can read the whole story here:
    http://www.oregonlive.com/metro/oreg...6420835160.xml

Enjoy!

-JF

Thumbs up Re: Wanna Perform Rach3 on a Half Day's Notice?

Nice post, John. OH MY F-R-E-A-K-I-N GOD!! That piece is INSANE!!

"...He missed a few notes at the top of some breakneck leaps, but nothing that disturbed the music's texture..."

While the commentator had a mostly positive thrust, how could he even KNOW about a few missed notes towards the end of that piece?

MAN, I HAVE GOT TO STAY AWAY FROM THE FORUMS AND PRACTICE!! POLITICS SUX!

Question Re: Wanna Perform Rach3 on a Half Day's Notice?

I always wondered; those flat handed (sort of "palmed") chords; are they actually penned during the initial scoring/writing or is that created by Rach. at the moment of inspiration? Pure Genius.

Go Back to forum