• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Smelly Sample Libraries

Share/Bookmark

Smelly Sample Libraries

Make way for the next big thing in patents: Taste & Smell Patents

https://www.davinciinstitute.com/page.php?ID=62

Recently a Seattle researcher received the nobel prize for medicine for discovering that people can remember and identify over 10,000 smells and how proteins in the nose translate specific tastes and smells into information in the brain.

When a person sniffs garbage or perfume, "that activates an array of the receptors, but only those primed to respond to those particular molecules. The brain notes which receptors are activated, and interprets this pattern as the smell." This receptor patterning opens the door for a variety of new patent possibilities

Sampled sounds are protected under intellectual property law. Colors are also protected. Can smells be far behind?

Ah, the sweet smell of a future GPO add-on.

Now I'm wondering if we should develop the first sampled smell library.

Gary Garritan

Re: Smelly Sample Libraries

That's very interesting . . .

Can colors really be protected by copyright law? That's as silly as the 'Happy Birthday' song being copyright!

I can't imagine a copyrighted smell. 'Sorry, sir, but that smell is my intellectual property.' But I guess perfume companies can patent the way they make a certain perfume, but that's not really the same as copyright.

Perhaps we can expect GPS? Garritan Personal Smells

But smells aren't really linked with emotion as much as music and visual arts. I mean, can you really smell sadness, anger, or happiness? Smell is often linked with memory more than anything else, unless it is a really bad smell, in which case it is linked with sickness

Also, you can have music so loud you can go deaf. You can have lights so bright you can go blind. Can you have scent so strong you go . . . . what do you call a person who can't smell?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Can colors really be protected by copyright law? That's as silly as the 'Happy Birthday' song being copyright!
    I'm eating a Cadbury chocolate at the moment , this is written on the pack :

" Cadbury, Dairy Milk, The Glass and a Half device and the colour Purple are trademarks of....etc"

What happens when you combine smells ? Do you get a good smelling chord or something ?

Recently a Seattle researcher received the nobel prize for medicine for discovering that people can remember and identify over 10,000 smells and how proteins in the nose translate specific tastes and smells into information in the brain.
    If I am not mistaken, L. Ron Hubbard talked about this very same concept in his book "Dianetics."
    Oh, do you smell that?
    No, smell what?
    I don't know. It smells like ... chicken.
    Chicken?
    Looks like chicken, feels like chicken ... but it's, it's, it's not chicken.
    I don't smell a thing.
    Smells like ... like ... IT IS!
    OH BOY! FRIED OATMEAL!

As far as GPO having a smell, if it's to good we run the risk of chomping on it during those long nights of no sleep and no food while working on music.
    Styxx

Heh Heh. If the bassoon player had one too many bean burritos before the recording session, we now can tell!

Can you imagine buying a Creative Smellblaster card for your computer?

Rob

Well, smell can be extremely effective in triggering memory, so it can have a secondary effect as an emotional trigger one would think. I know the movie industry has toyed with the notion of bringing smell to films as part of an imersive experience. Of course, it took a visionary genius like John Waters to actually pull it off:

http://www.anecdotage.com/index.php?aid=5453

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Now I'm wondering if we should develop the first sampled smell library.
    Gary Garritan
    I'm no marketing guru mind you, but I'm thinking that from an image point of view, you might not want people saying, "GPO? Yeah, they really smell..."

Besides, if I could actually smell the valve oil, I might have flashbacks to my young trumpet playing days and thus be distracted from creativity (if you'd heard me play trumpet in high school, you'd understand what a distraction that could be).

Chris

Talking Re: Smelly Sample Libraries

Quote Originally Posted by robh
    Heh Heh. If the bassoon player had one too many bean burritos before the recording session, we now can tell!

Rob
    Lets see someone try to copyright *that*!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

He could cash in on the performance rights!!

Rob

Re: Aroma Sample Libraries

Eh, I liked it better when the thread was titled Smelly Sample Libraries.

GPO for all your senses?

While we're at it, I'll design a 3d notational engine that has virtual players on a concert stage emulating the passages you input. That would be awesome on the visual end.

Works for me.

Go Back to forum