• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Excuse my ignorance...

Share/Bookmark

Excuse my ignorance...

I'm looking at the score for In the Bleak Midwinter, and its calling for a Baritone brass instrument, but all it says is Baritone. Is that referring to the euphonium? If so, how do I emulate that with the instruments I have available to me in GPO? And, the score wants an alto, tenor, and bariton saxaphone. I thought about substituting the strings for this since I've got nothing else. Does that sound like a good idea? Boy I picked a bad song to do.

Re: Excuse my ignorance...

This is the same same problem that orchestrators face everyday. When dealing with live musicians of a specific group and the written music is for a different instrument combination. This is where you get use your knowledge of orchestration. Choose different instrument combinations that you think still keep the original flavor of the composer.

Prof. Jim will probably correct me, but I think the trombone is the closest substitute we have in GPO for the baritone (horn). If you're using trombones also, try EQ-ing the baritone differently. Or try using the F Horn patch.

Be creative with the saxophones. I was trying different combinations recently and when I combined the viola and oboe I got got something that sounded similiar to a saxophone. Or maybe I was just wacky.

JT

The underly problem being my ignorance of orchestration. I will try the F horns or maybe monkeying with the trombones. I will try to find a baritone horn recording so that I can at least get a general idea of the sound of the instrument. I'm more worried about subsituting the saxes since the have such a unique sound. Luckily their lines are simple texture fills it seems with the winds carrying the melody.

Your best bet for emulating a baritone is to use a trombone. Basically what you're looking to make is something with the sounds and tone of a tuba, but with the range of a trombone. I played fo r8 years, and that's how I explain it.

Smile Re: Excuse my ignorance...

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    Your best bet for emulating a baritone is to use a trombone. Basically what you're looking to make is something with the sounds and tone of a tuba, but with the range of a trombone. I played fo r8 years, and that's how I explain it.
    tgfoo, when I first read this I was *mortified*! As I continued and read you are a fellow euphonium player, forgiveness swelled in my soul.

Joseph, to get the true sound of a euphonium you would have to take all the grime out of the trombone sound, add a sprinkle of the sweet smell of fresh cookines baking in the oven, and finish off the sound with the whispering of angels. (You may comence vomiting now. )

Now for something a bit more productive. (You all know I was not serious up there, right? We euphonium players are not *that* lacking in self-esteem!)

To me (emphasis on *me*) the best arrangements of In the Bleak Mid Winter have been very simple arrangements. The song is a humble, simple melody with a simple message, keeping the arrangement the same works really well. Just my (unasked for) 2 cents...

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo
    Forgive the stupid question (my copy of GPO is in the mail at present), but are the instruments constrained to the natural range of their physical counterparts? If not, could he perhaps use a tuba, but play it in the baritone's range, thus perhaps getting the darker tone at a higher pitch?

I've done similar things using, for instance, a French horn an octave or two higher than a real horn would be able to play in order to evoke the feeling of an old barbarian's battle horn.

Chris

Joseph,

I know the purists are going to be appalled by this idea, but for the baritone horn how about trying a trumpet patch with the pitch tuned down an octave in the Kontakt Player. That way you have a sound in the same register as the trombone but with a completely different texture.

(Didn't all baritone horn players start life out as trumpet players anyway?)

Jeff

The tuning wheel is in semitones right?

Anyway, I'll use either a trombone or a tuba. Those seem to be the most prevalent recommendations thus far.

Christopher,

Unless you own the full Kontakt you cannot alter the range of the instruments in GPO. You can tune them though, so that is a way around the limitation. All the instruments are set to their normal ranges.

Flugelhorn? In GPO. Not happening. Maybe with the Concert/Big Band add on.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    ...Big Band add on.
    Well, that would certainly solve your sax problems.

Go Back to forum