• Register
  • Help

Topic: I'm not gonna make it . . .

I'm not gonna make it . . .

Well, the deadline for the orchestration contest is coming up, and I've been working on a piece. However, with deadline so close, and my piece still needing a good amount of work, I don't think I'm gonna make it . . .

I know I wouldn't win such a competition, I'm a pretty inexperienced composer (I haven't been doing it that long). My hope was to perhaps get the chance to win one of the other prizes.

I think my piece so far is perhaps my best composition, and I really don't want to rush through it just to make the competition. I'd rather spend as much time as I can making it as good as I can.

Also, if this is just the first of more competitions, then I'll have the chance to submit it next year after the it has been seriously toiled over.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: I'm not gonna make it . . .

If it is any consolation to you, I haven't met a musician / composer on this forum I though didn't deserve the grand prize. You'll be fine and yes the greatest thing is there is always next year. But, if I may say this for you, I have a feeling you just might make it afterall this year. You are most likely just feeling the pressure. Be diligent and work on it as you can for now. Don't make up your mind yet. You just never know.

Out in left field

Re: I'm not gonna make it . . .

Hey Sean,

If you think about it, doesn't some of the greatest music you ever heard have a raw, unfinished feel about it?

Both Mahler and Puccini faced ultimate deadlines before finishing the 10th Symphony and Turandot, respectively. But these works are still worth listening to.

If you want to enter the contest, just go for it. It's not like it would keep you from continuing to work on your composition later as well. It's not an either/or thing.

Heh heh heh. I made it after all . . . Thanks for your support.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Congratulations! I am glad you made it. Now if only a wonder happened and saved my 8 months of effort...
    Greetings from Vienna!
    My website: Above the staff.net

Go Back to forum