• Register
  • Help

Topic: RAM Issues

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy RAM Issues

I broached this once before, have a bit more info. The piano samples are using over 200,000 KB of RAM; the wet Steinway over 400,000. I can't load more than one sample of any instruments as VST in Cubase. Are these amounts normal? I have a month-old HP with 512MB RAM. Any help greatly appreciated.

Re: RAM Issues

Yes, these amounts are normal and expected (those samples are quite large). Unfortunately, there is only one solution: buy more RAM. I started the most recent discussion on RAM issues: How to squeeze just a little more out of my setup

Even with 512 MB, you should be able to load more than one of the smaller samples into memory. I can run 3-4 sections or 6-8 solos at the same time on my old PC (AMD Athlon XP 1800 w. 512 MB ram). Maybe your processor isn't powerful enough to run multiple samples at once?

Also, be sure to switch of anything that may be running in the background. All those background services combined can eat up a lot of precious ram.

hth,
    Jim.
    Jim Offerman
    www.jimofferman.nl

Re: RAM Issues

Quote Originally Posted by wreloff
    I broached this once before, have a bit more info. The piano samples are using over 200,000 KB of RAM; the wet Steinway over 400,000. I can't load more than one sample of any instruments as VST in Cubase. Are these amounts normal? I have a month-old HP with 512MB RAM. Any help greatly appreciated.

You can improve performance and reduce ram requirements by loading only the dry versions. You can get all the reverb & delay you need by making use of Ambience, which won't load your ram. You will be surpised, I think. I got by with 512 Mb RAM for a while. The big gobbler is the piano, as you have noticed.

Richard Wayland

Go Back to forum