• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First Sonar, now Pro Samples V31. What's the Problem?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation First Sonar, now Pro Samples V31. What's the Problem?

Hi folks,

I received my copy of EWs Pro Samples V31, Rare Ethnic Instruments, and the same thing happened on one of the two discs that happened when I got Sonar last month. To try and make this short, here's the dilemma:

When I bought Sonar, neither my D nor E drives would read the disk. It showed as an empty RAW file format, with 0 bytes used, 0 bytes free, and an error message stating that the disk is either corrupt or in a form incompatible with Windows. There were two seemingly contradictory facts:

1) My removable storage drives were apparently fine, because they were reading everything else.
    2) The disk was NOT corrupt, because it opened when I tried it on another system.

With Sonar, I ended up reformatting my C drive and completely started over, after which Sonar loaded without problems. I had no problems again with anything until yesterday with V31.

The V31 has two disks. Disk A (AUDIO and AKAI) gave me the exact same error message, and I've been unable to open it. Disk B (AIFF, EXS24, HALION, WAV) opened no problem.

The bottom-line here is that, thanks to the 2nd disk, I was able to load the Highland Pipes, Alpen Horn, etc. as wav files playing through the EXS24 or Halion format, which my Kontakt is able to read. (Although it has to go through this auto-search thing that I don't understand- but I guess that's another question.)

But it's made me leery of purchasing more software and samples. Some of these are quite expensive, and I'd really like to get to the bottom of what's wrong; why my particular OS config won't recognize- in a minority of cases- apparently good CDs. I suspect Service Pack 2, but really have no idea.

Has anyone else had similar problems, or has wisdom in the ways of solutions?

Thanks.

Re: First Sonar, now Pro Samples V31. What's the Problem?

Sometimes CD drives go bad. Sometimes the laser just gets dirty. They make CD cleaner disks. Running one of those may help.

-JF

I don't know about the Sonar problem, but with the Prosamples CDs, I don't think the Akai format disc can be seen until you open it with something that can read Akai discs (CDXtract, Kontakt, etc.). Were you just trying to open in in windows? Or, were you trying it through one of those programs?

The idea was to simply open the disk and load the samples on to the C drive, like I did with GPO and the included Kontakt libraries, so I could then play them through Kontakt.

I'm certain it has nothing to do with the drive malfunctioning, because it almost always works, and in these two cases where it didn't, it wouldn't open on either of two different removable storage drives. It's definitely some arcane software configuation problem. After I uninstalled SP2, Sonar was able to be read and installed, but I've since reinstalled SP2 because my rig is, alas, not dedicated. I also need it for the web. (Incidentally, I tried the Sonar disk after reinstalling SP2, and it now works in case I ever have to reinstall it.)

Thanks for the responses. The question may not be answerable.

Since Akai discs can't be viewed in windows explorer, then of course you won't be able to simply copy the information over to your C drive... So, you'll need to open kontakt, then under 'tools' you'll see 'akai batch conversion' which will allow you to save it to your drive as an .nki. You could also save the Halion versions on drive C and open those in Kontakt.

I came across this problem when i bought my first AKAI disk too.
    The akai disk can't be simply read in Windows.
    I use Halion 2 so i Read it in Hal and Import it ... so then i have all the AKAI samples on my HDD in Wav files and fxp files.

Smile Re: First Sonar, now Pro Samples V31. What's the Problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkes
    Since Akai discs can't be viewed in windows explorer, then of course you won't be able to simply copy the information over to your C drive... So, you'll need to open kontakt, then under 'tools' you'll see 'akai batch conversion' which will allow you to save it to your drive as an .nki.
    Thanks so much! I tried the above and it worked. So now it doesn't do that Kontakt auto-search thing. The ethnic instruments just open as .nki.

So many bright, knowledgable, and helpful people around here. I honestly don't think I could handle this DAW stuff without you... it's much appreciated.

BTW Luk, (if you happen by this thread again)

I listened to a piece of you, the project X excerpt, and it was (as the kids say) really "bad!" Outstanding orchestration with subtle changes to keep the intensity level up.

What was the banjo voice? (At least I assume it was a banjo.) I'd like to get a good banjo sample, and that sounded great to me.

Glad it you got it working
    I know how frustrating that can be - I was ready to pull my hair out after I bought my first Akai cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar
    Thanks so much! I tried the above and it worked. So now it doesn't do that Kontakt auto-search thing. The ethnic instruments just open as .nki.

So many bright, knowledgable, and helpful people around here. I honestly don't think I could handle this DAW stuff without you... it's much appreciated.

It still doesn't explain the problem with Sonar. The CD cleaner disc may still make some sense.

-JF

Go Back to forum