• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: SX users..what do you use to calculate tempo?

Share/Bookmark

OT: SX users..what do you use to calculate tempo?

Sorry for the OT but this is a feature that DP has that they should all have. For those who don't know in DP you can have it suggest different tempos based on selected markers. This way you can find how many 'hits' you get. I see from the pool that a number of us use SX and I was wondering what you use to manually calculate the tempo (unless a similar feature is buried in SX and I can't find it in the manual).
    Thanks
    Chris

Re: OT: SX users..what do you use to calculate tempo?

Chris , You can calculate the tempo that way using the Time Warp function or create a Groove Template from rythmic loop or the Beat calculator(a tap tempo kinda thing). SX3 will have Audio Warp (time streaching and beat calculting) and should be out this month.. Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Pell
    Chris , You can calculate the tempo that way using the Time Warp function or create a Groove Template from rythmic loop or the Beat calculator(a tap tempo kinda thing). SX3 will have Audio Warp (time streaching and beat calculting) and should be out this month.. Rich
    I don't see how this is the same thing. If three hits are 00:02:24:20, 00:05:08:19, and 00:06:16:03 how could a grove template figure that out? I think you thought I was refering to beat calulators which isn't the case. In dp with these 3 markers selected it will suggest tempos (and let you listen to the metronome for them) and tell you how close the markers are, errors it will be off by, etc. I don't see any feature in SX that comes close unless there is something like this in SX3 and I can't find it.
    Chris

I once made an MS Excel sheet to calculate numbers of beats and tempos, based on SMTPE time intervals. I used one row for an interval between two hit points. The end of each interval was the start of the next, on the next row. It worked very well for creating a rough tempo layout.

O.K. Chris.. i think see what u mean now.. I dont think SX determines distinctly diff. tempos using markers the way DP does but I`m pretty sure u can achive the same "type" of thing using Time and Audo Warp. I "think" you can do something similar. Instead of add markers u engage the Time Warp tool and holding the shift key u are inserting a new tempo event (u can do this as many times as u want) and therfore creating multiple tempos on your track. I think the DP way is quicker and more convienent though. SX`s time warp is great with previously recorded audio and midi.
    Maybe i way off on what your looking for..in which case..nevermind ..Rich

Go Back to forum