• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: PC shutdown when starting GPO!

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy PC shutdown when starting GPO!

As simple as that. I try to open GPO and or either stand alone or in a sequencer and as soon as I click on GPO the PC shuts down. Sometimes it will start up right away. Most times it shuts down period. Windows XP pro. Hmmmm, got me beat! Anyone ever have this happen before?
    Styxx

Re: PC shutdown when starting GPO!

The version of GPO you have is the Styxx-and-Stones version which will turn Styxx's PC to stone .

Perhaps something went awry with the system settings. Could be a number of things. Try going to System Restore and rolling back to the time when everything was working for you. If that doesn't work give me a call and we'll get you up and running.

Gary Garritan

Hey Styxx,

A couple of questions may clarify..

Have you recently installed XP SP2? Do you use you GPO PC on the internet? (I've recently seen a few PCs behave like this that have become infected with spyware/malware - there are some great free virus/spyware scanners out there). Seems curious though that it would be triggered by a Native Instruments app...

We can crack this one....

Andy
    http://www.audiopHoBic.com
    Soundtracks for Theatre, Dance & Film

Just one more thing...

If you have any third-part restore utilities such as Norton Systems 'Go Back' disable it. Ongoing active processes could also be the problem.

Gary Garritan

Spy ware? Where? System Restore did nothing.
    Andy, no I haven't installed 2 with all the controversy and all and no I don't use GPO on the Internet. Thanks for asking.
    Something is happening and I talked to the people who built the PC. They are more than happy to come over on Tuesday to sample the problem.
    Any more suggestions though?
    Styxx

Made any changes to the PC lately? Software, driver updates, new hardware?

Right click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab and select the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section. Then uncheck the Automatically Restart option in the System Failure section. This will stop the computer from rebooting when you get an error.

You may have a corrupted file at the location you are loading from. Also, try loading in the latest update again.

You didn't install Giga 3 did you?!!!

Haydn,
    I'll give this a try later today. No giga3 installed.

JB - No updates, new drivers, or anything different. For now, no GPO can be used without this buggy shutting down.
    As for a corrupted file, that may be the case but where to begin to look?
    No other program causes the problem so far. I am able to use stand alone or with a sequencer. Although, now it only happens when I try to open studio and Overture. What might that be?
    Styxx

Did you try unistalling it and reinstalling it? I knwo it's a hassle, but sometimes that does the trick when I program isn't working right.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by audiopHoBic
    Hey Styxx,

A couple of questions may clarify..

Have you recently installed XP SP2? Do you use you GPO PC on the internet? (I've recently seen a few PCs behave like this that have become infected with spyware/malware - there are some great free virus/spyware scanners out there). Seems curious though that it would be triggered by a Native Instruments app...

We can crack this one....

Andy
    I installed XP SP2 on the third day after it became publicly available, and since then, have had no computer crashes, lockups, or problems. I suspect most of the horror stories are somewhat exaggerated and perhaps simply rumor. However, I did take the precaution of checking out all the caveats and did some prerequisted machine-specific updates first.

Prior to this, I had experienced some GPO problems, but don't recall the specifics, except that there were some crashes. They stopped when I updated graphics drivers and sound card drivers. SP2 did not degrade the system.

Richard Wayland

Go Back to forum