• Register
  • Help

Topic: Artistic Orchestration - An Orchestration Tutorial by Alan Belkin

Share/Bookmark

Artistic Orchestration - An Orchestration Tutorial by Alan Belkin

Alan Belkin has written an excellent guide called "Artistic Orchestration". Here is the link:

http://www.garritan.com/Orchestration_Tutorial.html

Alan's work focuses on the art of expressing and enhancing orchestral form, rather than on the mechanics and specifics of the instruments.

Alan gives an overview of the instrument groups, discusses what is poor orchestration, form, orchestral change, continuity/contrast/ phrasing, orchestral dynamics, color, doubling, balance, lines vs. parts, planes of tone, contrapuntal orchestration, tutti and orchestral simulation.

This work is part of a series of online books that Alan has on his website and is republished by permission. You can visit Alan's website at: http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/pers...n/e.index.html There are Spanish and French versions of this guide also available.

Thank you Alan for creating such an invaluable resource that will benefit many musicians throughout the world for years to come.

Gary Garritan

Re: Artistic Orchestration - An Orchestration Tutorial by Alan Belkin

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    This work is part of a series of online books that Alan has on his website and is republished by permission. You can visit Alan's website at: http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/per...in/e.index.html
    I find all the material on Alan's site actually very interesting....

Alessandro

You just can't thank these people enough...IMHO. Great generosity.

Frank

I came across Alan's website some time ago and absorbed it.

It is first-class. Thank you ,Alan.

Terry Dwyer

I was looking over some of this stuff (very) late last night. I was too tired to go through it though, but from what I skimmed over, it looked like it had a lot of useful information. Hopefull I'll more time to try and look at it today....or maybe tomorrow cause football is about to come on....
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    You just can't thank these people enough...IMHO. Great generosity.

Frank
    I'll second that. My only complaint is that- if I don't create a body of very good music- I no longer have any excuses.

And I always thought that the secret to success was all about the art of blaming others for one's own mistakes or shortcomings! Maybe I need to rethink...

Belkin has done a real great service to us writing this series. I see this one has been edited especialy for GPO and a few pictures has been added. Really nice. His latest writing on harmony is still a bit over my head and a few more reads from me are required to get the grips of it.

I just visited his webpage and looked it over. This is a great resource. I wonder how long it will take me to read all of this....and then I wonder how much of it i'll understand.
    Tim

There are some pdf files on Alan's site of the books. Stick them on a PDA. Makes great reading on an airplane. This is some of those things you have to read many times.

Man, what a wonderful resource. Inspires me to look for ways that I can give back to the community in return for all the nice things that others do for me.

I definitely see those pdf files appearing on a pda near me soon...

Chris

Go Back to forum