• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Yet Another Preview

Share/Bookmark

Wink Yet Another Preview

Totally and exclusively GPO! This piece started out as an experiment in placing the corresponding minor (or major) about one octave above from a minor (or major) triad below it. That positioning immediately reminded me of the work of the late Bernard Hermann in many Hitchcock films. I developed the first part of the piece with that simple “program” and then decided to place an insistent Glass/Adams/Reich/Riley motif following it and let the strings from the first section “comment” and “interact” with the second thematic elements. (This second part has more than a little homage to the works of Colin McPhee, as well.)

UPDATE: Based on comments by "FredProgGH" and "the emperor" (below) as well as sleeping on the piece overnight, I added a stronger, more passionate (duplication) of the top Violin line, using the Violins 2 Strad Ens3. I also did some relatively minor rebalancing and sweetened the reverb a bit more heavily. I also bounced the flutes and oboes a bit more tot he foreground in the "toccata" section and am currently considering a third section which will bring the opening "close seconds" back for a final bow (and a bit of symmetry). The revised MP3 is click here and the new WMA is here.

To play the 160K MP3 version click here . If you’re on dial-up, you be more comfortable with the 64K WMA version, so click here instead .

If you want to see the complete run-down of GPO patches, then look at the top of my usual “Preview” page here and play your desired version from there.

Comments, suggestions, brickbats welcomed, as usual. Don’t be shy!

TIA … KevinKauai

P.S. I'm still calling this a "Preview" because it's not yet "published" publicly and I have a feeling that I'm going to add a third section after the current ending chord. My thanks for "FredProgGH" and "the emperor" for their suggestions and observations!
    Last edited by KevinKauai; 10-11-2004 at 12:53 AM. Reason: updates

Re: Yet Another Preview

I'm on my way out the door so this has to be brief, but I thought this was a great piece. Really dark and interesting, with great orchestration. The recording was a tad dry for my taste, and I could stand to hear some more expression in the opening strings. But man, I really like this.

good stuff for sure, the beginning is really dark reminds me of a allan pettersson symphony for some reason, then yes it really sounds like glass/reich/riley with that minimalistic motif, i like it, thumbs up

Spooky.

Great stuff, Kevin.

The beginning of this piece really gave me goosebumps... great stuff! I'd love to hear this in the context of some dark thriller movie :P

gr,
    Jim.
    Jim Offerman
    www.jimofferman.nl

Thumbs up Re: Yet Another Preview

OK, I clicked on all of the links and played them all together. NOT!

Kevino my friend, this was quite nice and love the strings especially in the intro. I would have liked to hear them a bit more connected but that's just my taste. This is quite a work of art. You guys really put me in my place. Love the percussion it really sounds live.
    Styxx

Smile Re: Yet Another Preview

... love the strings especially in the intro. I would have liked to hear them a bit more connected ...
    To what or WHOM? I'm not sure how they should be more connected. My concept for the second part was to introduce a rhythmic figure that moved along at precisely twice the speed of the original pace and then let the strings come back and drop in their "comments". I hope I'm not being defensvie, but I would like to understand your notion on "connected".

I still consider this piece a "work in progress" and am working on a third section which continues at what is not the "end".

Thanks to those who listened and commented. As most of you know, I do only "original" stuff and don't participate in "covers" (except for two forays into Beethoven and Bach). I sincerely appreciate the comments by FredPoghGH, the emperor, Cerrabore, robgb, Jim Offerman and Styxx and thank them for taking the time to listen with a critical ear and give a struggling composer some "direction" and opinion.

I hope to add the "completed" version by next Monday or so.

KevinKauai

I think Styxx was referring to the few instances where the note on attack was readily audible and I agree that a lighter attack or more legato would lend a more connected feel to the strings. But that may or may not be your intent so I leave that to the discretion of the author of the piece. Very nice IMO.

Exclamation Re: Yet Another Preview

"Final Revision?" of "Second Passage - Cinematic Essay 2004-1" is now at the top of this page . In my continuing comparison between "traditional" reverb and Impulse Response, this version has two versions (in both MP3 HiFi and WMA LoFi formats).

As mentioned, earlier, this is also a fairly RARE piece for me in that it's totally and solely GPO. (Boy! I am sure looking forward to the DFD update -- I was down to the ragged edged of remaining memory on my 1 gig RAM music system when this "final" version was 'done'.)

"Second Passage" is not yet posted anywhere, but the next "Cinematic Essay", "Minimal Hysteria" has just captured the #1 "Cinematic/Soundtrack" slot of new songs on AcidPlanet.com here . That piece, however, is a "hybrid" using voices from the Peter Seidlaczek "Extended Classical Choir", a couple of "All Strings" patches from GOS/Lite and only 2 or 3 patches from GPO.

As usual, comments, suggestions, observances welcomed and encouraged!

KevinKauai

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast