• Register
  • Help

Topic: Live Rig for GS3

Share/Bookmark

Live Rig for GS3

Does anyone have a stable live rig working at this point with GS3? If so, would you be so kind as to give a description of your hardware? I am interested in getting a laptop GS3 set up for live performance. This would mainly be for running the Bosen 290, Steinway, or Yamaha piano samples. Also some synths.

What is the most compact hardware package for this application and yet consistantly stable enough for live performance?

Thanks in advance for responses

VegasVEGAS

Re: Live Rig for GS3

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVEGAS
    Does anyone have a stable live rig working at this point with GS3? If so, would you be so kind as to give a description of your hardware? I am interested in getting a laptop GS3 set up for live performance. This would mainly be for running the Bosen 290, Steinway, or Yamaha piano samples. Also some synths.

What is the most compact hardware package for this application and yet consistantly stable enough for live performance?

Thanks in advance for responses

VegasVEGAS
    PM Bruce Richardson. I believe I read where he uses Giga 3 live with great success.

Re: Live Rig for GS3

This is not exactly what you asked, but I use one of these live with Giga 2.5, and it's rock solid:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...ermes%20Series

This is slightly old now, with an 845 chipset. There's a newer version with an 865 chipset:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...Hetis%20Series

I have mine fixed into a briefcase-style flightcase, with a thin 14" TFT monitor mounted into the lid. So it opens up effectively like a rather fat laptop. But it has many advantages over a lappy. It's much cheaper for a start, and can take more solid and better performing desktop-style components: normal CPU, fast big hard drives, PCI soundcards etc. And more customisable/upgradable.

I know for a fact Bruce will say the same thing: forget about laptops and get a portable desktop. I believe he uses a rackmount system - I started with that idea but once I got my rack case, it was so damn heavy I could hardly get it up the stairs, let alone to gigs and back! So I ended up using it in the studio instead, where it's solidity and soundproofing factors are an advantage.

But the Hermes is quite light, though reassuringly solid. There are various other small form factor option around too.

Go Back to forum