• Register
  • Help

Topic: Black Grand GigaPulse demos

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Black Grand GigaPulse demos

We have made a series of demos that will make it possible for you to compare both the convoluting and non-convoluting Black Grand versions, but also the three different Black Grand perspectives.
    The demos are exactly the same length so you can easily line them up in a playback environment for comparing

Black Grand Close Perspective No Convoluting
    Black Grand Close Perspective Full Convoluting

Black Grand Medium Ambience Perspective No Convoluting
    Black Grand Medium Ambience Perspective Full Convoluting

Black Grand Ambienct Perspective No Convoluting
    Black Grand Ambient Perspective Full Convoluting

All mp3 in packed with WinRar
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: Black Grand GigaPulse demos

Worra,

Any chance you might be willing to share with us the microphone technique (in broad terms) of the different perspectives for BG?

One thing I was really surprised with is how much difference there is in timbre with the different perspectives. It's like it's not even the same instrument! To me the medium ambience is Bill Evans all the way, the close perspective is perfect for pop/rock (at least that which I do that goes for more organic sounds), and the ambient is perfect "classical" piano sound.

Very cool. Just love to hear how you did it.

Quote Originally Posted by krash
    Worra,

Any chance you might be willing to share with us the microphone technique (in broad terms) of the different perspectives for BG?

One thing I was really surprised with is how much difference there is in timbre with the different perspectives. It's like it's not even the same instrument! To me the medium ambience is Bill Evans all the way, the close perspective is perfect for pop/rock (at least that which I do that goes for more organic sounds), and the ambient is perfect "classical" piano sound.

Very cool. Just love to hear how you did it.
    Well, it was a lot of "trial and error" before we found the correct michrophones/placement.
    Since it's recorded in a concerthall it wasn't a "controlled" enviroment as in a studio that you know.
    The first thing I did was to talk to people who had recorded this piano before me. It hasn't been sampled before, but it has been recorded several times. This gave me a rough idea of what to expect and also gave me directions on where on the stage to place the piano.
    We then arranged for the three perspectives, testing different michrophones and placements.
    During this phase, we had a pianist playing and we did test recordings that we listened to. We also had a bunch of "models", that is, recordings of pianos that we liked and that we used to compare with ours.
    I also had a sonic picture of what I wanted in my head.

The final result became:
    Close Perspective:
    Milab DC96-B for treble and midrange, MG UM30 for bass. Around 30 cm above the strings

Medium ambience:
    2 Neuman KM84 placed at a beside the piano, about 1.5 meter up and 1.5 meter from the strings

Ambient:
    2 Rode NT5 about 2 meters up and 3 meters from the piano.
    You might raise your eyebrowes when you hear about the Rode, but they where picked because I really, really like the sound in them and also, they are very quiet!

The goal was to make three distinctive perspectives that sounded different so you wouldn't get three similar sounding piano and I'm glad to hear that you think we did that!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    The goal was to make three distinctive perspectives that sounded different so you wouldn't get three similar sounding piano and I'm glad to hear that you think we did that!

You did! It sounds beautiful. I love it, and I'm addicted to playing it.

Anyway... I was actually more surprised with the KM84s than the Rode mics... but I have to say, it really worked!

Thanks,
    josh

Here's two new demos featuring GS3 and GigaPulse. The Black Grand Ambient perspective was used on these two:

Valses Nobles - Ravel
    Sonata No 2 in B-Flat Minor - Rachmaninoff

They are quite big (20 and 27Mb), but so are the Black Grand...
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by Worra

Ambient:
    2 Rode NT5 about 2 meters up and 3 meters from the piano.
    You might raise your eyebrowes when you hear about the Rode, but they where picked because I really, really like the sound in them and also, they are very quiet!
    Rode NT5s are superb. I've had mine for quite some time and they're just fantastic for quality stereo recording. Its nice that you went with your instincts rather than followed the crowd, so to speak.

I've had the Black Grand almost a week now and can't stop playing it - a great product. Its these sort of demos that are going to propell me towards parting with cash for GS3.

Great work, Worra.
    Trev Parks

[QUOTE=T Parks]
    I've had the Black Grand almost a week now and can't stop playing it - a great product. QUOTE]

Thanks! It has been reported to have these side effects...
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

The demos are outstanding. I loaded them into WaveLab, added a touch of Powercore Classic Verb, and I'm in heaven!

I pray that Tascam will produce a version of GStudio 3 that will work in my system (can you spell, CAPTURE) so that I can order this wonderful, inspiring piano.
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

Go Back to forum