• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Solo Strings hunt

Share/Bookmark

Solo Strings hunt

Ok, what would be the suggestions for the best SOLO strings collection? I'm looking for cheap, good, Kontakt & compatible, that actually sound great when used in a quartet format, mainly to back up ac. gtr. type tracks, or a la Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday!

I know that this may take some chops to make it 'real' sounding. I don't find to much to choose from, & that have good demos on site. I've been waiting so long for something to fit this bill, as I can't afford to hire a string quartet.

Somebody must know the answer!

RickyB

Re: Solo Strings hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky B
    Ok, what would be the suggestions for the best SOLO strings collection? I'm looking for cheap, good, Kontakt & compatible, that actually sound great when used in a quartet format, mainly to back up ac. gtr. type tracks, or a la Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday!

I know that this may take some chops to make it 'real' sounding. I don't find to much to choose from, & that have good demos on site. I've been waiting so long for something to fit this bill, as I can't afford to hire a string quartet.

Somebody must know the answer!

RickyB
    Look here

http://vsl.co.at/english/pages/produ...er_strings.htm

I've got Kirk Hunter's Solo Strings, and have been pleased since day one. I just checked the link and found them on sale for $149. Geez! That's a steal!

http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/OctoberMadness.html

What I like the best about KHSS is the variety of articulations. If you're willing to take the time to select the articulations manually and to draw in some nice expression control, you can get great results.

There are two violins: one Classical and one Romantic. They use different bowing/vibrato techniques, yet can be used together as moods and tempos shift. You can go from smooth and gentle to Hitchcock Psycho mad.

You also get viola, two cellos and bass. Everything you need for Rigby, quartets and lots of other solo string works.

I think I paid $249 a year and a half ago and still feel like it was a bargain. At $149 it's a no brainer.

-JF

I agree with Jon. I just bought the Kirk Hunter Solo Strings a few weeks ago and they sound great. You can create some very emotional cello and violin passages with these samples.

And they're great for good ole fiddle music too!

Mark

Thanks! I have checked out the KHSS and agree they sound great. I just wanted to know how they fare in real use. The other issue is the format. I am using Kontakt and don't know how the conversion would turn out. Know anything about that?

RickyB

if you don't like the Kontakt translation you can get
    Gigastudio Solo or even Gigastudio 32 to play them

The programming is very straightforward. I've read that most everything converts fine to Kontakt. I believe that there might be some conversion issues with the mod-wheel patches, but it's no big deal. The mod-wheel isn't used for crossfades or anything. It's used for switching patches when playing live.

The lib even has a full set of individual layers and articulations with no splits at all. That version can be converted to pretty much anything.

-JF

This is a good question to search on at the Chicken Systems forum. It has most likely come up before, and Garth is very helpful.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Question Re: Solo Strings hunt

Anyone know what kind of UK import duty I'd pay for the KK solos?

Thanks
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Not Dudley Simpson
    Anyone know what kind of UK import duty I'd pay for the KK solos?

Thanks
    H
    I`d try to PM Peter Alexander on that.He`d be the KH man.. Rich

Go Back to forum