• Register
  • Help

Topic: Possible to run GS2.5 on laptop w/ no GSIF?

Share/Bookmark

Possible to run GS2.5 on laptop w/ no GSIF?

I'd like to lounge around with my laptop... an old P3 Machine with no GSIF soundcard.... and be able to Edit GS instruments and then just play a few notes to audition the sounds as I work on the instruments.

Is it possible to get GS2.54 to run under these conditions? I hardly need any polyphony.
    Gabriel

Re: Possible to run GS2.5 on laptop w/ no GSIF?

Maybe you can. I was using my Sounblaster live with GS2.5 on win 98. However, you should have VXD drivers not WDM drivers. If you'ra using win 2000 or XP, I'm afraid they dont accept VXD drivers. What is your soundcard on the Laptop? You can run GS without sound by using wrapper ( http://www.fx-max.com/ ) if you want.

Korayus

Lightbulb Re: Possible to run GS2.5 on laptop w/ no GSIF?

Hi Gabriel.

As Korayus says, if you're running an older version of Windows, you should be fine with non-GSIF-specific hardware. However, even under Windows XP, for example, you may be able to find a 3rd party GSIF driver for your sound card. I currently use the kX drivers for Soundblaster Live, so something like that may be available for your one.

If you get back to us with your specifications we may be able to help further if required.

Good luck with your instrument building,

Julio

Korayus and Julio,
    The built in sound card is "SoundBlaster compatible" and the audio controller is the NeoMagic NM3298. I see some audio related .vxd files (can't remember the exact names now) in Windows\System. I guess that's good. I'll try installing GS tomorrow. Any hints?
    Thanks,
    Gabriel

Good Luck
    Dont forget to tell the result.

Korayus

Go Back to forum