• Register
  • Help

Topic: Missing register???

Share/Bookmark

Missing register???

Why does the bass trombone stop at G3 when it should go to at least F or G-flat4? The most potent part of the register is missing and I really need it.
    Will we get the remainder in the update? I noticed the same with the double bass. Thumb position is missing.

I love GPO and I'm still amazed at the product six months later. So, please don't take this the wrong way but... don't tell me to substitute the tenor trombone and the cello. That is not acceptable orchestration nor is it the same color.

-Chad
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Re: Missing register???

Chad,

You are describing the range of Bass Trombone 1. Bass Trombone 2 has the extended range you need. When there is more than one choice of a particular type of instrument one choice may have more extended range than the other. Always check to see if the alternative has what you require. Another example of this is Bassoon 1 and Bassoon 2. Bassoon 2 has more extended range. Range differences depend on many things: Decisions made at the original recording sessions concerning "common usage", the particular player used for the session, the necessary elimination of unacceptable samples during editing, etc. Whenever possible we have included one instrument choice that has range extended beyond average "common usage" requirements. Whenever this isn't the case there were unavoidable technical reasons. The update does have some range extensions in certain instruments but I'm not going to get specific at this time.

Tom

Something you can do to get the thumb position notes in the basses is use the "ens" players. I forget what their upper note is, but it does go quite a bit higher than any of the section basses.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks, Tom. I never thought to load the second. *promptly removing foot from mouth*

Dan,
    Good tip. Unfortunately I usually don't have enough RAM left after loading the full orchestra. At only 1 gig (using Sibelius) I have to make compromises. I'll try that after I move up to 2 gigs.
    -Chad

Post Re: Missing register???

Quote Originally Posted by CString
    Why does the bass trombone stop at G3 when it should go to at least F or G-flat4? The most potent part of the register is missing and I really need it.

-Chad
    *Just* F4? Come on! Back in the day when I played bass trombone I took that baby to -4Fs! My lips were flapping so much at that register, I had to get a license from the FCC in order to be seen playing on TV! Our bass trombone section would play notes that would start earthquakes! We made tuba players hang their heads in shame! We could make windows rattle, dogs howl and...and...and... crap, I can't think of anything else. You get the idea.

Actually, this is a good tip on registers and different instruments. I looked in the manual and on the Garritan site, but did not see a listing of what ranges different instraments have. Is there a list available? It might be helpful to provide.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Just picking this thread up late....

I would only add that the belief that various instruments don't demand their FULL range is...well...bunk!

Just look at scores by Stravinsky or Schoenberg. While your at it check out Holst, Elgar and Bax. Examine Wagner and Bruckner as well. Then listen to film music scores by Goldsmith, Herrmann and even Horner and Shore. Does the picture seem clear?

Tell those composers that one of the bassoons or in this case bass trombones for example, can't play what they've written and they would give that player his walking papers or leave in disgust (or throw the baton at them, if its Toscanini!).

The point I'm making here is one that is something of a 'pet-peeve' for me. I feel the single most irritating aspect of ALL sample libraries is the missing range of many instruments and sections.

This is NOT a trival thing! I never bought the excuse about 90% of music not needing this 'extended' range. Most of the music I've listened to over the course of my life (and pretty diverse too) has easily incorporated these peripheral ranges among the instruments.

Its GOOD orchestration at work! Exploiting the uniqueness of the bass trombone for example in it's high, somewhat intense range is far preferrable under some conditions than just using a tenor instrument. Just ask Elgar (Elgar? where are you? (heh!)).

So...PLEASE could we obtain samples from good players who easily can accomplish these ranges? I have known some of them over the course of my life. They aren't scarce and don't produce wobbly erratic notes in these ranges (unless you ask them nicely! ). I would buy the argument about having to throw away certain sampled notes, but for the reason that it is simple to just let them break for 15 minutes and try those notes again. I have done this myself with musicians I recorded many years ago for a custom sample library. Brass players in particular (in my experience, anyway) will often desire to perform a note over again to get it sounding good.

Well, that is MY rant for this month!

Quote Originally Posted by nexus

Just look at scores by Stravinsky or Schoenberg. While your at it check out Holst, Elgar and Bax. Examine Wagner and Bruckner as well.
    Now Arnold Bax is a name I haven't heard for a while. Symphony #2 is outstanding as is the "Swan" piece...can't remember the title at the moment.

The second bass t-bone example does indeed cover the range. I was just being stupid and only looking at the first sample. It would be great to have the full range on the first sample, though. I like that tone more than the second.

-Chad

Go Back to forum