• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius and GPO Percussion

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius and GPO Percussion

Hello everyone -
    I'm a newbie,running GPO with Sibelius,writing for a fairly standard orchestra:
    WW in pairs, 4 horns, 2 trp, 2 tbn, tuba, tymp, perc, and strings.
    Problem: Sib recognizes perc on channel 10 only. GPO doesn't have
    a channel 10. Anyone have ideas how to get the perc sound in GPO
    to register in Sib? I've spent some time looking but so far haven't found
    a posting that deals with this.
    David Lawrence

Re: Sibelius and GPO Percussion

Interesting question. Although I do not use Sibelius, it would be interesting to hear if and how it can be done.
    Just a question though, how about reassigning the notes? I don't know if that makes sense but some times I will use an external sequencer then import to the PC in Cubase where I will reassign the notes to coincide with GPO.
    Just a thought.
    Styxx

David,

Forget about channel 10 when using percussion sounds in Sibelius (and Finale) and GPO. Channel 10 is used in general midi assignment of sounds. In GPO channel 10 is not reserved strictly for percussion. Start GPO and find out which keys the percussion sounds you want are assigned to. Program your percussion part in Sibelius using these keys. When using this method your percussion playback will sound correct thru GPO, but might not sound correct with Sib's soundset.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    David,

Forget about channel 10 when using percussion sounds in Sibelius (and Finale) and GPO. Channel 10 is used in general midi assignment of sounds. In GPO channel 10 is not reserved strictly for percussion. Start GPO and find out which keys the percussion sounds you want are assigned to. Program your percussion part in Sibelius using these keys. When using this method your percussion playback will sound correct thru GPO, but might not sound correct with Sib's soundset.

Jeff
    Jeff and Styxx -
    Thanks for your input. I'm doing this strictly between Sib and GPO - not using a kb except for note input to Sib. - And the mixer in Sib insists on Ch 10 for perc - no choice. So: I've switched the perc device assignments in the mixer from GPO to the computer's built-in soundcard - which at least gives perc sounds - sort of yukky but workable.
    David

Go Back to forum