• Register
  • Help

Topic: Are there high polyphony MIDI files I can use for testing??

Share/Bookmark

Are there high polyphony MIDI files I can use for testing??

I used to have this orchestral gm midi file that got up to 160 note polyphony. I am trying to find something similar so that I can create a nice stress test for my new Cubase SX system. I want to see how Giga and SX co-exist when both are being pushed.

-brian

Re: Are there high polyphony MIDI files I can use for testing??

Originally posted by bhuether:
    I used to have this orchestral gm midi file that got up to 160 note polyphony. I am trying to find something similar so that I can create a nice stress test for my new Cubase SX system. I want to see how Giga and SX co-exist when both are being pushed.

-brian
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Brian,

Polyphony is not only related to the complexity (ammount of simultaneous instruments and notes being played), but rather to the type of the instruments themselves. For example, if you were to play a single track without chords in a instrument recorded in mono, you might get just 1 voice max(Is it possible to get just 1 voice? HMMM...), but in other instrument with multiple layers and release sample, you might get 12.
    If I\'m wrong with this numbers, I hope somebody let me know. I\'m no expert either [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Also, if you are playing an instrument with release samples, and increase the tempo of your midi, the usage of voices will be higher than if you play at a slower tempo (Because at higher tempo, you get a bunch of release samples overlapping I guess). Just try this with the Gigapiano with resonance instrument.

Hope this is not too far from the truth [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , and that it helps.

Ruben

Go Back to forum