• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How will my setup perform?

Share/Bookmark

Red face How will my setup perform?

Okay, I'm all set to run (not walk!) out and buy a copy of GPO!!

I am worried though... my PC may not be able to handle it well. You experienced users tell me.
    Note: I have NO music software at all! Whatever is included in the GPO box is what I'll have to use for sequencing, etc!
    I have:
    Pentium3-level Tualatin Celeron @ 1.4GHz (100FSB and the Tual-celeron doesn't suck!)
    EDIT: This processor would be about the equivalent of a PC-133 equipped Pentium4 of about 1.5 to 1.6GHz.
    768MB PC-133 RAM
    40GB 5400RPM hard drive
    Steinberg Project Card (ASIO compliant audio)
    16-year-old Roland PC-200 MIDI controller. (how sad!)

Not a super-fancy setup, but if it will work fairly well, I can hold off on the upgrade until some new AMD developments bring down the cost of the Socket939 AMD64 platform.

Thanks everyone!!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Re: How will my setup perform?

Hi BlueMax,

I dunno. I'm certainly not an expert. Did you read Christopher Duncan's post on what he is able to get from his old laptop with only 192mb of RAM?

If you say the Tual celeron is OK, I wouln't know. My 1st PC was a celeron (in pre GPO days) and it used to get pretty cranky when asked to do much.

My guess (only a guess) is that you could run at least a handful of instruments at a time, and then either freeze tracks or record to wav to create resources for more instruments, so yes, it should be doable.

But hopefully someone with more tech savvy than me can give you a more definitive answer.

Good Luck,

The processor I have would be the equivalent of a Pentium4 of about 1.5GHz

That should narrow it down some.
    If only I'd discovered the contest sooner! In the next month or so we may have to pack up and move to a different city which is a two-day drive in itself. Not much time between that and raising our 9-month old son to be writing music - but I'll certainly give it a go! The chance to have a live orchestra play MY song, and the publicity/recognition that goes with it.... I might be finally able to fulfill the dream of writing music for a living!

(Hey.... it's an unlikely goal, but worth shooting for!)

Thumbs up Re: How will my setup perform?

Hey Bluemax,
    I believe this contest will run every year. You have plenty of time unless you are going for this year. At any rate, good luck and may the nicest note win

Sal
    Styxx

hee hee... make one of my entries just one giant orchestra-hit!

wwwwWHAMP!! [applause]

So... how will a P4 1.5 / 1.6 hold up?

I made a rather lengthy post here a couple of days ago about how GPO performed on what I consider to be an underpowered and completely inadequate laptop (short version: amazingly well). It's a P III / 800 with only 192 megs of ram. Although there were limits, I was blown away at how well it performed on a box I thought would simply not work at all.

Additionally, I'd add that if you have a standard multitrack DAW program (Pro Tools LE, Sonar, Nuendo, Cool Edit Pro, etc.), you can get much more out of GPO in a limited environment. If you can only run, say, 10 instruments at a time, then you simply record the first 10 of your orchestra's instruments in your DAW. Then, go back to GPO and switch the instruments to the next 10. Record those in your DAW, continuing in this fashion until you have it all "printed" (recorded) in your DAW. Then, do your final mix in the DAW.

Typically, you can get more concurrent tracks in the DAW software than from samplers because of the rather intense memory requirements for a good sounding instrument. This method is a little more work than playing the entire orchestra all at once, but it's a heckuva lot cheaper than rushing out to buy the latest, greatest computer.

All of which is my typically long winded way of saying that you should be able to make great music with GPO and your current computer. Looking forward to hearing your work!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Wow! What great news!

Really, what I should do is try it out on what I have - upgrade later when money isn't quite so tight. (Read: Get a better job!)
    The proceeds fro selling our house will likely be put into a new one.... but I might be able to swing an upgrade at that time - if it's necessary!

Lightbulb Re: How will my setup perform?

I doubt your setup will hold you back much, though the CPU and 133 FSB are not what I would call a long term solution.

If I were you, I'd look at AMD solutions. You can get the AUSU A7V8X boards for under $100, a fast CPU for around $100 and a gig of memory (name brand only) for around $100. Start saving and you'll be there in no time. Whatever you do, don't buy anything one month at a time. Hardware prices fall so quickly, you'll always get a better price the longer you wait.

Good luck!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    Hardware prices fall so quickly, you'll always get a better price the longer you wait.
    Yeah, that's one of those things I try to forget just as soon as I've made a purchase!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

With 64-bit extensions and software so close, there's no doubt my next upgrade will be to the Athlon64 - probably socket939 for longevity.

Until then, I'll slug it out with this P3.

Go Back to forum