• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Windows 2000 vs. XP!

Share/Bookmark

Windows 2000 vs. XP!

Has the GPO been developed to work better with one OS over another?

My 768MB of RAM would probably be stretched a bit further if I ran Win2K instead of XP Pro.... but I don't want to do so if the program won't run properly!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Arrow Re: Windows 2000 vs. XP!

Hmmmm....now *that* is opening a can of worms.

My personal experience has been that XP is a very stable, effecient operating system for both GPO and other audio software. I have been using XP for over two years now and can count the number of times XP has locked up on 3 fingers. (That would be 3 times. ) After tweaking XP based upon information at http://www.musicxp.net I have found XP to be running more efficiently (in some cases by over 50%!) than I could ever get Win2k to run.

Long story short, I don't see how you can lose with XP. However, if you go with Win2k you probably won't be bad off either.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Thumbs up Re: Windows 2000 vs. XP!

I will agree with LFO on XP. However, and this is coming from a person with hard experience, if you can afford not to use the same unit for internet uses and use it for music only, do so! My system is in now for problems and from what the tech says, it's all Internet based. Unfortunately, I do not have the resources for another system for internet use.

Viva la Microsoft!
    Styxx

Re: Windows 2000 vs. XP!

Excellent point. I'm snagging an old P3-500 from work (they're selling them, I'm not pinching it!) and a decent 15" monitor. This will probably get dedicated as the "internet machine". My wife won't care much for having two computers in the house, but if I clear out all the other junk from the office, maybe she won't mind too much. You're right - it would be BEST to have a dedicated DAW, but I don't know how feasible that is... especially considering it's the machine I would also play my occasional game on.

Perhaps partitions and dual operating systems on the drive? Choose on startup: "DAW" or "other stuff" would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I will agree with LFO on XP. However, and this is coming from a person with hard experience, if you can afford not to use the same unit for internet uses and use it for music only, do so! My system is in now for problems and from what the tech says, it's all Internet based. Unfortunately, I do not have the resources for another system for internet use.

Viva la Microsoft!
    Styxx,

I recall reading a post a while back about your PC being in the shop for a week or two (of course, since the 70s were good to me, I could be wrong - memory ain't my strong suite). Anyway, this seems pretty extreme to me and I was just curious (i.e. nosy) about the problems you were experiencing. Even in a worst case scenario where a virus completely hosed your system and you had to smoke & reinstall the operating system, that's something that can typically be accomplished in a day or so, including installation of all software and restoration of data.

Do you mind my asking what your symptoms were? And did you take it to a tech for hardware reasons or just because you'd rather not fiddle with the darned thing yourself? I just hate to see a brother in arms have his studio down (and have to spend money that would be better spent on fun musical toys!).
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Question Re: Windows 2000 vs. XP!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Styxx,

I recall reading a post a while back about your PC being in the shop for a week or two (of course, since the 70s were good to me, I could be wrong - memory ain't my strong suite). Anyway, this seems pretty extreme to me and I was just curious (i.e. nosy) about the problems you were experiencing. Even in a worst case scenario where a virus completely hosed your system and you had to smoke & reinstall the operating system, that's something that can typically be accomplished in a day or so, including installation of all software and restoration of data.

Do you mind my asking what your symptoms were? And did you take it to a tech for hardware reasons or just because you'd rather not fiddle with the darned thing yourself? I just hate to see a brother in arms have his studio down (and have to spend money that would be better spent on fun musical toys!).

I second this question. I was wondering the same thing, Styxx. The amount of time (and I'm assuming the cost of that time) sounds a bit extreme.

-Kevin
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Arrow Re: Windows 2000 vs. XP!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    Excellent point. I'm snagging an old P3-500 from work (they're selling them, I'm not pinching it!) and a decent 15" monitor. This will probably get dedicated as the "internet machine". My wife won't care much for having two computers in the house, but if I clear out all the other junk from the office, maybe she won't mind too much. You're right - it would be BEST to have a dedicated DAW, but I don't know how feasible that is... especially considering it's the machine I would also play my occasional game on.

Perhaps partitions and dual operating systems on the drive? Choose on startup: "DAW" or "other stuff" would that work?
    You can install XP on one hard drive twice in seperate partitions. Do a Google search and you will find plenty of information on how to do it. This is a good idea, try to keep your DAW partition as `pure' as you can.

-Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    You can install XP on one hard drive twice in seperate partitions. Do a Google search and you will find plenty of information on how to do it. This is a good idea, try to keep your DAW partition as `pure' as you can.

-Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

Wouldn't it be better to get a second HD? I've been told before that I'd want to do this because of latency issues, although since I haven't had any so far, I'm not yet worried about it.

XP, while it's been rock stable for me, is such a resource hog, wouldn't two instances of it on a partitioned drive just muck things up? I'm not very tech knowledgable, just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Quasar
    Hi Kevin,

Wouldn't it be better to get a second HD? I've been told before that I'd want to do this because of latency issues, although since I haven't had any so far, I'm not yet worried about it.

XP, while it's been rock stable for me, is such a resource hog, wouldn't two instances of it on a partitioned drive just muck things up? I'm not very tech knowledgable, just asking.
    It's the "resource hog" thing that got me thinking about rolling back to Windows 2000 with its lower memory usage. It'll free up more RAM for GPO... provided GPO will run smoothly on 2000!

Well, the simpsons were as follows, dough!

Started GPO studio and the PC would shut down. Sometimes it would immediately start up, most of the time it would shut down and stay down. The reason I let the tech who built it look at it was that it is still under warranty. I have a two year service and parts warranty. The other reason is they have a new tech that can turn off what I do not need in XP and tweak the system for optimum use for music applications. Things like games which I never use. This new tech has a high interest in PC / Mac and music applications. His studio kind of reminds me of a star trek control room bridge.
    They called me less than an hour ago. One, too many conflicting applications. Two, and this is the big one, the hard drive was replace because it was defective some way. He started explaining but this stuff went over my head so fast and far I was spinning for quite a while. His recommendations were to put in another hard drive to store and back up my music files. There were other recommendations but were out of reach for my wallet. One was a dedicated unit for music only. Buck Buck Buck Buck!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum