• Register
  • Help

Topic: Electronic Music GPO Review

Share/Bookmark

Electronic Music GPO Review

I just got the November 2004 issue of EM and it contained an absolutely glowing review of GPO.

"Garritan Personal Orchestra sets a new standard for power, affordability, and efficiency for orchestral sample libraries. The sounds are great, and the implementation of individual players to create ensembles is innovative and hopefully, trendsetting among sample developers."

The only negative comment the reviewer had, was in his opinion the sound quality was not quite as good as the large, high end, expensive libraries. But it's darn close.

Congratulations!

JT

Thumbs up Re: Electronic Music GPO Review

Absolutely! You da man Gary!

The only negative comment the reviewer had, was in his opinion the sound quality was not quite as good as the lage, high end, expensive libraries. But it's darn close.
    And just how much does he use any one of these libraries?
    Styxx

Re: Electronic Music GPO Review

Jeff,

That's good news and I appreciate your letting us know. Usually takes a long time to get magazine on Orcas. If there was only one negative (which is seems to be a compliment), what else did the reviewer have to say?

Thanks for letting us know.

Gary Garritan

Very cool. One good review is worth thousands of dollars of paid advertising. And of course, the more mainstream the product becomes, the better for us all.

By the way, I haven't heard VSL or the likes so I can't make a personal comparison, but if a product is significantly more expensive, many people will assume that the quality therefore must be better, too. Sometimes that's true, sometimes it ain't, but we're all subject to our preconceived notions. Any way you shake it, being compared nose to nose with industry leaders is a statement in and of itself.

Well done, guys!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Thumbs up Re: Electronic Music GPO Review

The reviewer (Rob Schrock) absolutely loves the concept of ensemble building. GPO's ensemble building allows complete flexibility for orchestrating authentic-sounding chords, doublings and unisons without the nasty artifacts. (of phasing)

Legato - He sites that some of the "super-libraries" use sophisticated, yet often complex midi applications for creating true legato lines. GPO uses the simple and obvious controller, the sustain pedal.

He marvels at number of instruments included in 2 GB of samples. "The fact that such a wide range of timbres appears in this collection is a testament to Garritan's sound-design chops."

He raves about the fact that this library can run completely in RAM, allowing a student with a modest computer to have an orchestra at his or her fingertips.

In conclusion he says:

"A huge support community has sprung up around GPO, which means that GPO is here to stay. In addition, Garritan, a master of the art of sampling, will be providing updates and additional content free of charge in the future. This is one small investment that pays great dividends."

Beautiful!! I know I made the right choice now! I might run out to the store to pick it up TONIGHT! (Better check with the wife first though... it would be bad. $250US is a lot to us.)

And $250US vs. $2500... gee... what a shame you don't sound quite as good as the super-library. Just really, really close - for 10% of the cost!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Gave Rob a demo at NAMM. His was one of those full out demos so he would understand the features. He was one of the many that had one of those great grins on his face during the demo. Most of the press that received demos responded this way. I knew then that Gary really had a winner on his hands!

Man, that is a pretty powerful article. I've always like EM. Now I know why.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Go Back to forum