• Register
  • Help

Topic: More Black Grand user demos

Share/Bookmark

More Black Grand user demos

Frederik Von Wachenfeldt has sent me some more songs where he plays the Black Grand:

Misty - This one has been posted before, but I include it here just to get all Figge's demos together

An Empty Concerthall - Black Grand Ambient perspective

An Slick Concerthall - Same as above but with some FM7 added

Take it or leave it - Piano, Black Grand Close Perspective - Bass, Trilogy - Drums, Groove Agent. Figge, why didnt you made this one a bit longer.....

Fjord - Piano, Black Grand Close Perspective

Again, Thank's Figge!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: More Black Grand user demos

I've got an entire directory full of Black Grand Demos now. I simply love this piano. Frankly, it's the biggest reason I'll probably upgrade to GS3.0 (I'm currently polyphony limited with GS 2.5 96).

Mark
    www.marktrainer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trainer
    I've got an entire directory full of Black Grand Demos now. I simply love this piano. Frankly, it's the biggest reason I'll probably upgrade to GS3.0 (I'm currently polyphony limited with GS 2.5 96).

Mark
    Thanks Mark.
    Just wanted to say that these demos are not made on GS3, and therefore not use GigaPulse. Sounds pretty good anyway....
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Yes I know- but I've told myself I'm not buying any more libraries until I upgrade my (currently) polyphony limited version of gigastudio. But the Black Grand will follow soon after that, for sure.

It sounds odd, but I've waited a long time for the day to finally arrive where I wouldn't run out of polyphony. To me, it's a cold, harsh slap of reality to be playing a sample or tone generator and then suddenly hearing notes drop out. At that moment, the illusion of playing a piano is completely lost and I'm rudely reminded that I'm playing an approximation. It's actually an even more important issue to me than a small incremental difference in one high quality sample over another.

At the same time, I've been listening to hardware modules pianos since 1993, and although many are nice they just can't compete with the gigabyte sized sample sets that software samplers can provide.

So my day is nearly here- 11 years waiting- where I'll have crazy-polyphony AND an extremely high fidelity piano sample.

My only regret is that I wish I wouldn't have pursued the quest via hardware for so long. I've got to much money sunk into piano modules that were each a little better than the last, but only incrementally so.

Yet you can still find these debates alive in various forums- I recently saw a bit of squabbling over the new Yamaha PLG-150AP board on the MOTIF forums, this is the new PLG board with a piano sample on it that is coming out later this fall. Lots of people who say they are on a quest for the ultimate piano sound are saying they are going to rush out and buy one and ditch their PLG-150PF boards. I've listened to the demos and although it is nice, it is only incrementally better than the PF board. ROM limitations will continue to hold these types of hardware solutions back until the cost is so low that giga sized samples can be burned into them.

Until then, it makes more sense to quit buying "good" stuff over and over again, and just save for the "best", get it, and be done with it.

Mark
    www.marktrainer.com

Go Back to forum