• Register
  • Help

Topic: capture to audio

Share/Bookmark

capture to audio

I noticed that GPO is now advertised as having 'capture to audio.'

Are there instructions somewhere about the process of setting-up & use of this function?

Also, my thanks and compliments to Gary Garritan and whoever else was involved in making this product available. The only problems I've had have been with soundcards and the limitations of my laptop. But otherwise this is like a dream-come-true. I tell a painter friend that it's like finally getting exquisite paints and brushes after years of having only the means of describing your ideas in a code of abstract symbols and with the crudest, ugliest materials and tools.

If only one of the extensions you're working on were a library of instruments of other cultures, which deserve the same serious treatment as western classical orchestra. This isn't meant as a complaint but more of a 'wishlist' item(and I know of some terrific instrumentalists who might be persuaded to cooperate with such a project.)

Thanks again, and bravo! to you.

Re: capture to audio

GPO STUDIO has capture to audio. You use it in combination with a notation program to made an audio file of your music. Here's the link that you can download the player from.

http://www.garritan.com/GPOhost.html

Good Luck,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    GPO STUDIO has capture to audio. You use it in combination with a notation program to made an audio file of your music. Here's the link that you can download the player from.

http://www.garritan.com/GPOhost.html

Good Luck,
    Jeff

I have the current version of GPO Studio, 1.2. Never tried to use it until tonight, and have been quite successful and achieving identical results each time I record. That is, I find that my wav file is 6 minute of silence. This provides me with ample opportunity for vocabulary practice of a type not considered appropriate for a former church organist.

I set up GPO and Sibelius, test to make sure that all plays correctly, which it does. Then I choose the file path and name, swat record, start play. Six minutes later, all indications are that I have a successful recording, including a wav file of appropriate size, but which is mute as a pipe organ with a dead blower motor. Sibelius is silent during the record process. If I interrupt record, sound returns toSibelius. I have not tried this with Sonar because Sonar can easily produce wav files without recourse to the capture to audio function of GPO.

I suppose I am overlooking something simple, but I sure could use some advice.

Richard Wayland

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    I suppose I am overlooking something simple, but I sure could use some advice.

Richard Wayland
    Yep, sure was missing something simple. However, now I am trying to use more than 1 player in Sibelius, and have not much hair to spare!

Richard Wayland

Well, it was more foolishness on my part, maybe. I can use multiple players, but there is a problem with pipe organ when I use multiple players. Not yet clear enough for me to explain, except that it seems choosey about what will be acceptable.

Yep, sure was missing something simple. However, now I am trying to use more than 1 player in Sibelius, and have not much hair to spare!
    Hmmm. My first test was Overture with 8 instruments (all mono type instruments such as horns, winds, percussion, no piano/organ type stuff) on a laptop with only 192 megs of ram. Everything worked fine for me. Since I don't have Sibelius I'm flying blind, but here's a debugging thought or two.

First, I'd lose the organ patch and try two or three horns or woodwinds to see if you can simply get multiple instruments going. If that succeeds, it at least points you at issues with polyphonic instruments. A couple of points that might be useful along the way - when I record, I do hear sound out of Overture, so I'm thinking if you're getting silence when you record there's no need to go the 6 minutes. Also, the size of your .wav file won't be an indicator, as the file will grow in size over recording time regardless of volume.

I'll scratch my head (my razor ensures there is no hair) and see if I can come up with any other ideas, but seeing if you can isolate the problem to a particular class of instrument is at least a useful step along the way.

By the way, how are you at recording voice? I'm always up for expanding my vocabulary...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Thanks rwayland - that must make you the (Sibelius/GPO Studio/capture-to-audio) 'beta' man. I'm also using this with Sibelius(2), and it warms my heart to know there are others out there trying it first, because although I'm not a church organist I like to avoid using the same kind of vocabulary.

I have a somewhat hazy memory of one morning a few years ago catching myself just as I was about to toss my computer off my second-floor balcony and thinking I should either get anger-management counseling or give up computers. My best friend has never owned one and is a really happy and well adjusted person.

What kind of system are you doing this on? I'm running everything on a G4 laptop, and maybe soon a new Mac desktop system. In my ideal world (an even simpler version of)Sibelius and GPO are all I have to deal with. I'm always amazed at the degree of arcaneness inherent in most softwares, and developers on both of these softwares seem intent on bettering things on this count.

It would be nice to have input on this from someone 'official.' I may soon give this a try, and if I do I'll post results.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Hmmm.
    By the way, how are you at recording voice? I'm always up for expanding my vocabulary...
    Well, the trouble was mostly that I was extremely tired and weary, which seems to happen eaiser than 50 or 60 years ago! I have no further trouble, except possibly the organ, which I will check again after sufficient French Roast coffee.

My vocabulary, when I am properly inspired, would cause the producers of South Park to blush. When my children were young, I uttered a few words about someone who executed a dangerous manuever on the freeway. To this day, the kids are proud of their dad because of the remarks. Perhaps my expertise in this regard is related to my time as 1st Sgt, U.S. Army?

I should add that such exercises are reserved for especially deserving occasions.

Richard Wayland

Perhaps my expertise in this regard is related to my time as 1st Sgt, U.S. Army?
    That being the case, I think your restraint is even more impressive than your vocabulary!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum