• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Rate the 88 Key Controllers Out There...

Share/Bookmark

Rate the 88 Key Controllers Out There...

Hey guys...I'm getting close to buying something.

It would be great if those with more experience than myself with this could chime in and rate the best controllers out there, in the high price range, medium, and cheapo.

Might be best to separate into camps too...weighted vs non, etc.

The new MAudio that's being shipped this week is cute, sure wish it had a fader or two though.

Thanks
    Tom

Re: Rate the 88 Key Controllers Out There...

I cast my vote for the Fatar Studiologic SL-880 Pro. Just got one and I love this controller! Simple, sweet and THE BEST feel I've come across. 88 keys - wood weighted with adjustable shape, velocity, aftertouch and assignable splits. I use it exclusively in my composing studio. It's a heavy beast, but the best controller I've played - period.

After doing some searches on the net, there sure isn't much out there.

The Yamaha's look nice but who needs "onboard sounds" etc...well, of course live guys do, but I just want a CONTROLLER. With some programmable sliders, 88 keys and a decent action.

Roland and Yamaha used to make them but don't seem to anymore...

Kurzweil has tons of onboard sounds and EFX....guess there isn't much money in making dedicated controllers nowadays...

Quote Originally Posted by Walra
    I cast my vote for the Fatar Studiologic SL-880 Pro. Just got one and I love this controller! Simple, sweet and THE BEST feel I've come across. 88 keys - wood weighted with adjustable shape, velocity, aftertouch and assignable splits. I use it exclusively in my composing studio. It's a heavy beast, but the best controller I've played - period.
    Agreed. The SL-880 Feels like the real deal. I like mine and haven't felt a need to switch.

As far as raw key action goes, in my opinion nothing out there can beat the Yamaha S90. Heck a blindfolded person couldn't tell the difference between this and a real piano. They got the "feel" right on the money.

Luckily, the same hammer-action exists in the much cheaper Yamaha S08, which is also 88 keys. If I didn't already own a Yamaha S80, I'd get one of these. When I bought the S80, it had the best key action on the market, but the S90/S08 beats it hand down. It's not GRADED hammer action, but unless you are only playing piano samples who wants that anyway.

Yes you may get sounds on the unit you don't need, but I think you'd be surprised at how good some of the sounds actually are.

Maybe it's just me but the dedicated no-sounds MIDI controllers out there seem kinda cheap. Go play a Yamaha S08 and ask yourself if it doesn't fit the bill and add a few features to boot.

Mark
    www.marktrainer.com

I really like my Yamaha P120's graded hammer action, although of course you're also getting the onboard sounds, whether you want them or not. But for me, as piano samples are far and away the most RAM intensive, I like having the option of just using the P120's piano. It sounds perfectly OK to me, and saves resources. Plus, I can always run the midi file created with the P120 and and use GPO's Steinway sample, or whatever, if I want to.

I also vote for the Fatar Studiologic SL-880 pro. Just a simple, always works, sturdy, great action controller.
    Edward W. Trevino
    Dandlewood Productions
    www.dandlewood.com

I have now a Roland RD170 which has a great keyboard (and a wonderfull piano sound; see http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=25686), but, IMHO, the best I've ever played is my former kurzweil PC88.

Now there is the kurzweil PC1X (as soon as I have money to buy one, i get it), and actually, it has the same keyboard (developped with Steinway!) than the PC88. And everything in the velocity scale (by 1% step from -200% to 200%), velocity offset (from -127 to +127) and velocity curves is tweakable.

Now there are pros Yamaha, and pros Roland... it's a matter of taste. But it's important to test the keyboard you'll buy (especially keyboard action AND the velocity scale) with your sounds, softs and others, to be sure it will really fit to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trainer
    If I didn't already own a Yamaha S80, I'd get one of these. When I bought the S80, it had the best key action on the market, but the S90/S08 beats it hand down.
    Mark
    Yeah, I own the Yamaha S80 as well, and agree that as good as it's action is (one of the best on the market) the S90 is even better (not enough of a difference to make we want to upgrade tho). The only problem with the Yamahas as controllers is that IMO they have the least intuitive interface out there, along with a user manual that might as well have been written in hieroglyphics...

They made some improvements to the UI on the S90 (less sub-menus, bigger LCD, etc.), but others just seem to do it better. So if you need to set up complex splits, zones, layers, etc. you might want to look elsewhere.

I'm looking to pick up an unweighted controller to compliment the S80 that does the master control stuff a little bit easier. Further suggestions are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Walra
    Pardon me, but the SL880 pro certainly has no wood in there. Just metal and plastic, like all modern controllers, except for the Kawai MP9000/MP9500. Added to that, it is not reliable. Mine got really irritating powering up problems and other people have had the same problem with it. (Read this.) Also the velocity-resolution isn't 127 when using a piano-like velocity-shape.

The Kawai is best, with long wooden keys and no springs, but it is expensive and heavy.

I use a Yamaha P80 for gigs. IMO, it is really playabe, though it wouldn't pass a blindfold test for me.

Just my 2 cents.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast