• Register
  • Help

Topic: Update DFD Question

Share/Bookmark

Update DFD Question

From Garry's "sneak preview" message, it sounds like the DFD support will be added to GPO as a seperately downloaded module. That's not at all surprising, since that's the way DFD support gets added to Kontakt in general. So, as a long time, and therefore paranoid, Kontakt customer, could someone please tell me:

If we already have the current (v 1.2.9) NI DFD module for Kontakt, do we need to install the GPO DFD module?

Does the GPO DFD module conflict or interfere with concurrent operation of the Kontakt DFD module?

Re: Update DFD Question

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK
    If we already have the current (v 1.2.9) NI DFD module for Kontakt, do we need to install the GPO DFD module?
    Does the GPO DFD module conflict or interfere with concurrent operation of the Kontakt DFD module?
    I can not see a problem here. The DFD module is the same version 1.2.9 and is treated as external addon to GPO. (You can choose not to install it....)
    fmfgs

Worked for me, no problem. It's the same module, I believe. But a word of warning. In my opinion, GPO works better WITHOUT DFD. It's a nice option to have, I guess, but I keep it turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    Worked for me, no problem. It's the same module, I believe. But a word of warning. In my opinion, GPO works better WITHOUT DFD. It's a nice option to have, I guess, but I keep it turned off.
    Of course it works better without DFD - up until you've got enough instances and samples where you can't fit the whole project in RAM. I went through hours and hours of fun experiments trying to run the "1GB" GPO benchmark on my 1GB DAW, and converting it to Kontakt 1.5.3 and running it with DFD on was the only way it could be made to work - and it worked extremely well, with relatively modest incremental CPU overhead.

Of course it works better without DFD - up until you've got enough instances and samples where you can't fit the whole project in RAM.
    Given that my secondary machine, a laptop, has only 192 megs of memory, I'm thinking this could be cool. It only serves as a compositional scratch pad when I'm away from the studio, so I wasn't really concerned with more than just a piano. However, if I can use DFD and get full orchestrations, so much the better!

With all technologies, there is ultimately a wall. It'll be interesting to see where it is with DFD on an obviously underpowered box.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Of course it works better without DFD - up until you've got enough instances and samples where you can't fit the whole project in RAM. I went through hours and hours of fun experiments trying to run the "1GB" GPO benchmark on my 1GB DAW, and converting it to Kontakt 1.5.3 and running it with DFD on was the only way it could be made to work - and it worked extremely well, with relatively modest incremental CPU overhead.
    Well, I rarely go above my 1GB of RAM, but then my arrangements are probably a little more sparse than others. I do often get the warning that says resources are low, but nothing has ever come of it.

I think it's great to have the option. At 1 gig I frequently have to make sample compromises when writing for full orchestra. As of Monday, that's no longer a problem. Big thanks to Gary, Tom, and crew!

-Chad
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Go Back to forum