• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Don't want overture any more

Share/Bookmark

Don't want overture any more

Hi,

since I have my GPO, I use Overture as score writer because I think it's a very simple and intuitive way to write music on a computer.
    BUT, I'm full of crashes and all the problems I have with this soft.
    first, it's IMPOSSIBLE to export my music as a midi file, each time, I have a EMPTY file while opening it both with Finale or dp 4.
    secondo, I was working on a big fuga of Bach for a brass ensemble, and today I have to finish it because we have our first rehersall this next monday.
    And my surprise today is that the file doesn't want to be opened!!! I tried to restart my computer, IMPOSSIBLE to open this file!
    I've spend a lot of hours on this project, and I have to do it again.
    also, welcome back Finale and bye bye overture, I'll use it again when it will work correctly.
    laurent

Re: Don't want overture any more

Hey bmtl,

Don't give up hope!!!

If you are in a pinch, Send me the file and I will send it back to you in whatever format you need it to be in. (It appears from your post you have Finale. I have Finale and can use that format if you choose). I have Finale 2003 and 2004 for mac, but I believe that PC versions open Mac versions if the versions are the same. (I think that 2004 and on requires no translation between PC and Mac versions fo the files)

I understand you are having problems and that having someone else help you doesn't really solve those problems, but until you can get things working again, I just wanted to offer my help if you want.

Email me the files if you want. Check my profile for the address

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Quote Originally Posted by bmtl
    Hi,

since I have my GPO, I use Overture as score writer because I think it's a very simple and intuitive way to write music on a computer.
    Hey, bmtl.

I certainly understand your frustration, I think we've all been through this sort of thing with one piece of software or another. It's true that some programs are simply buggy and unstable. However, from my own experience and from all that I've seen, Overture appears to be a good, stable app.

I don't know when you last installed Windows, but over time (and the installation of many programs), any modern operating system starts getting flaky, which shows up as unstable programs. Rather than give up on a tool that you like, here's what I suggest (once you're done with your project and have the time).

First, of course, back up your data. Next, I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling GPO/Overture. See if that stabilizes Overture for you. If not, you might want to consider starting fresh and reinstalling Windows and all your software (fresh install; do not "upgrade" your current Windows installation). After installing each program, fire up the others for a quick check. If things suddenly get flaky, then the last program you installed has done Bad Things and is a likely culprit. Get on their support boards, track down and resolve the problem, test all your other programs, and then continue with the installation of the rest of your software, one at a time.

Is this extreme? You bet. However, it's been my experience that when a normally stable app starts acting flaky, there's something wrong at a more fundamental level with your system. Ignore it, and you'll eventually be discovering weirdness with other apps. So, rather than give up on tools that I've come to enjoy and depend on, when things start crashing I look to treat the cause rather than the symptom. The overwhelming majority of problems you'll encounter with software are a direct result of installing some other program. It's ironic that computers are useless without software, and yet the single most evil thing you can do to a computer is install software.

By the way, I'm assuming Windows, but the same applies to Macs.

Anyway, Jerry's help will doubtless get you through this particular crisis. Once the smoke has cleared, though, you should take a look at the stability of your system overall. It's a royal pain to reinstall, but oft times life is so much better afterwards. It can be a very worthwhile exercise for unstable computers.

Hope this helps,
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Thank you all,

I'll send my file to Jerry, And try to reinstall the soft. But now, I'm in the hurry, because I have to write all the music for this monday, and I guess I'll have to work all this week-end to be ready.

Regards.

Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by bmtl
    Hi,

first, it's IMPOSSIBLE to export my music as a midi file, each time, I have a EMPTY file while opening it both with Finale or dp 4.
    secondo, I was working on a big fuga of Bach for a brass ensemble, and today I have to finish it because we have our first rehersall this next monday.
    And my surprise today is that the file doesn't want to be opened!!! I tried to restart my computer, IMPOSSIBLE to open this file!
    I've spend a lot of hours on this project, and I have to do it again.
    also, welcome back Finale and bye bye overture, I'll use it again when it will work correctly.
    laurent

Well, I had plenty of trouble with Overeture SE, similar to your experience. I don't really need it, since I havd been using Sibelius and Sonar. So it is gone. But just for fun, I tried the demo of the full version, which seemed to work properly, just doesn't seem to have some features that I need and use frequently. Besides which, since my present setup works, I can do without the additional unnecessary expense and save the money for the GPO add-ons.

Richard Wayland

[QUOTE=rwayland]Well, I had plenty of trouble with Overeture SE, similar to your experience.

I was wondering if I would purchase the full version, because I think this soft is well thought and very easy to use. But I think that I'll stay on finale for a while, and I'll wait for a more stable version.
    I perhaps have a problem with my mac and the system ( Jaguar), I don't have time to find the solution now, but later perhaps.

regards
    L

Laurent...

Have you gone to www.geniesoft.com and downloaded the latest updater?
    The programmer is very good about making bugfixes. I believe that the latest updater is from 27 September.

There is also a user forum at www.geniesoft.com where you can discuss problems.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Also, there were some instances of a corrupted installer that eventually caused problems with the software down the road. I would contact Don at Geniesoft and see if he can get you another installer for Overture SE. I'm not sure if what you're describing is an indication to this issue, but he should be able to help. I agree with Jim, if nothing else head over to the geniesoft forum and report your issues there. Don doesn't browse NS often so he'll miss this.

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Laurent...

The programmer is very good about making bugfixes. I believe that the latest updater is from 27 September.

Jim
    Hi, Jim & Joseph,

Thank you for the posts. I've allready downloaded the last update of Overture, and the problems are the same.
    I want to try to reinstall the soft, but I didn't want to lose my time with this, for not beeing sure that would resolve my problem. I was in the hurry and had to finish a piece for brass for this last monday (and the application crashed saturday with all my data!!!
    So I came back to finale and finished the score, spending all a night for this (thank you so much geniesoft ;-)
    Seriously, I really think that Overture is the most intuitive and easy to use music notation soft I've ever seen, but, it's too instable, and I don't want to take so many risks with my data.
    But Joseph wrote that I could get a new installer for overture SE. How can I do to get this installer? It would be nice...
    Do you think that I could have a good price if, as a music teacher, I buy the soft?
    Jim, I' ve just finish a piece for brass quintet and brass orchestra, are you interested with this?
    I have to copy all the separate parts, but the score is available.

Thank you all for the help
    Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax
    Laurent...

Jim
    Hi, Jim & Joseph,

Thank you for the posts. I've allready downloaded the last update of Overture, and the problems are the same.
    I want to try to reinstall the soft, but I didn't want to lose my time with this, for not beeing sure that would resolve my problem. I was in the hurry and had to finish a piece for brass for this last monday (and the application crashed saturday with all my data!!!
    So I came back to finale and finished the score, spending all a night for this (thank you so much geniesoft ;-)
    Seriously, I really think that Overture is the most intuitive and easy to use music notation soft I've ever seen, but, it's too instable, and I don't want to take so many risks with my data.
    But Joseph wrote that I could get a new installer for overture SE. How can I do to get this installer? It would be nice...
    Do you think that I could have a good price if, as a music teacher, I buy the soft?
    Jim, I' ve just finish a piece for brass quintet and brass orchestra, are you interested with this?
    I have to copy all the separate parts, but the score is available.

Thank you all for the help
    Laurent

Go Back to forum