• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hello and a question

Share/Bookmark

Hello and a question

Hello all! My name is Matt and I've been perusing the forums for about a year now, but I figured now would be a good time to introduce myself. I'm currently a freshman at UW-Eau Claire and am undecided. My number 1 and 2 interests are music and video games (you can probably guess what my 3rd is)and early last year I decided that I should probably put them together.
    My (stupid newbie) question is:
    What would you folks recommend that I do as far as education. Is it really necessary to get a job in game audio, or do employers favor industry experience?
    Thank you for your time if you can answer my question. I hope I can actually contribute something to the boards in the future.
    Peace,
    Matt

Re: Hello and a question

industry experience, industry experience and industry experience....

If you can get that you likly have the education you need. That said its always good to educate one self, but this can also be done in the old "learn by doing way"

Unfortunately this can be quite a catch because if you don't have experience, it's hard for someone to hire you hence you can't get experience and the vicious cycle continues.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Although experience is preferred, I'd definitely would try to get a good education. With the power of hindsight I can say that personally a couple of classes in orchestration, music theory and composition wouldn't have gone amiss.
    The game industry is more and more becoming a very serious one, and filmcomposers such as Harry Gregson Williams and Danny Elfman are already partaking in it.

My advice would be:
    -Know your tools, and know them well. That means getting to grips with your sequencer of choice intimately, and also getting some Protools experience.
    -Don't limit yourself to just composition; you're a lot more useful if you can also do soundeffects, voice editing etc.
    -Get some experience; these days there are plenty of people writing small games in there spare time and there is an extensive mod community. Plenty of scope there to get into the swing of things.
    -Treat it as any other composer profession; the medium might be different but the work and approach is largely the same; I personally always treat it as if I were writing a filmscore.
    -Become an intern. I hired an intern a while back for a few weeks and he edited a lot our voices, and I gave him a credit on the game which he can use in his CV. It's a good way to see how the day to day business works and gain some 'cred along the way.

Hope that helps,

Joris de Man
    Guerrilla Games
    http://www.guerrilla-games.com

I really appreciate the advice. I see what you mean about the whole dilemma of being hired on experience as a "vicious cycle". I was also wondering how many of you have joined G.A.N.G. and what your thoughts were on the community there. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Unfortunately this can be quite a catch because if you don't have experience, it's hard for someone to hire you hence you can't get experience and the vicious cycle continues.
    AMEN! ; ^ )

Todd Kinsley
    Sound Designer

http://www.toddkinsley.com

Quote Originally Posted by midphase
    Actually, as far as computer games go, I havent found that to be the case at all.

Like Joris said, start with mods, there's also shareware games, mobile games and ringtones, doing the music for game cinematics and trailers - you name it.

Try;

garagegames.com
    flipcode.net
    gamasutra.com

Like any industry, you have to start small and work you're way up most of the time. But believe me, a game company employer will be happy to hear that you've worked on mods and shareware rather than nothing. It shows passion and commitment.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Go Back to forum