• Register
  • Help

Topic: How does this setup strike you?

Share/Bookmark

Post How does this setup strike you?

Looking at some of the DAW websites and I came across http://www.musicalcomputers.com/pd_gigaproducer.cfm

This is (as they put it) their "top-of-the-line GigaStudio System" @ $2500 +...

Intel 3.2Ghz CPU on Asus P4C800Deluxe motherboard
    PC3200 DDR memory
    80GB 7200RPM Seagate drive (OS)
    160GB 7200RPM Seagate drive (audio)
    Lite-On 8x DVD-RW drive by Lite-On
    ATI Radeon 9200 dual-head video card
    Antec Sonata quiet case w/ 380 watt power supply
    Windows XP Home installed and on CD
    Tascam Orchestra
    RME Hammerfall 9652 audio interface

Thoughts?

Re: How does this setup strike you?

If it's a dedicated system to Giga, you should be flying.

There are two models of this motherboard available. the P4C800 Deluxe has had memory and ethernet issues that although are better since the bios has been revised, are not completely solved. Do yourself a big favor and get the P4C800-E Deluxe version. The -e- version is between $14 and $25 more depending on where you shop. The only reason I mention it is that both are still available through the retail chain.

I have the earlier version of this motherboard with a RME 24/96 PAD sound card and am one of the unlucky few people that are experiencing blue screens, lock-ups and serious distortion when I attempt to save a .wav file to disk (see other threads that address this issue) due to some incompatibility with ew.sys. I have tried this setup with other sound cards and hardware. For me, the only constant in my setup has been the motherboard (I hope to address that in the next couple of days and will post my findings).

Allen Zurcher

Just for the record regarding P4C800 (NOT E) Deluxe -- I've had it for almost a year, and not any problems ever. Using it currently with gigastudio 3 orchestra and midi across the gigabit lan. The E version has intel Lan, rather than 'AI lan' whatever that is. No other differences, as far as I can tell from the ASUS site.

So saving the extra $15 here may make sense or not depending on how tight your budget is.

If this is a dedicated GS machine you don’t really need a DVD burner.

If this is your recording DAW, and for a pure audio using, I’d recommend the Plextor Plexwriter Premium CD burner, to burn Red book CDs... you can then send it directly to the factory for the glass master...

Regards

I just realize that many libraries are now one DVDs, so you really need a DVD drive...

And burners are not so expensive, now.

After reviewing the system a little closer I see that GigaStudio Orchestra comes installed. For some reason I overlooked that. That's $400 - $600 right there right?

Yes, with gigastudio orchestra installed, it looks pretty good. Not the cheapest one could get, but not especially expensive either; you probably get some kind of support/guarantee from the builder, too. Your specs don't say how much memory, but I'm assuming 1 gigabyte. Less is too little, and more doesn't seem to add a whole lot to gs3 today. You might search a little for the RME Hammerfall + Gigastudio 3 combination, I seem to remember reading issues about this combo.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorPeete
    Looking at some of the DAW websites and I came across http://www.musicalcomputers.com/pd_gigaproducer.cfm

This is (as they put it) their "top-of-the-line GigaStudio System" @ $2500 +...

Intel 3.2Ghz CPU on Asus P4C800Deluxe motherboard
    PC3200 DDR memory
    80GB 7200RPM Seagate drive (OS)
    160GB 7200RPM Seagate drive (audio)
    Lite-On 8x DVD-RW drive by Lite-On
    ATI Radeon 9200 dual-head video card
    Antec Sonata quiet case w/ 380 watt power supply
    Windows XP Home installed and on CD
    Tascam Orchestra
    RME Hammerfall 9652 audio interface

Thoughts?

the price is to high, even if the $ is so weak at the moment.
    Digital AudionetworX

Go Back to forum