• Register
  • Help

Topic: A daunting task yet a question I ask - - -

Share/Bookmark

A daunting task yet a question I ask - - -

I have taken the position of musical director to the West Seneca Youth Theatre for one more sneezen. The new director will be scheduling The Wizard of Oz and has asked me to program and orchestrate the score. What score!
    Here's the question. Where can I possibly find the full score? Got any idea? Got a link? Got a source? Got Milk?
    Also, there well be a need for help with this project. If you are interested drop me an email.
    Styxx

Re: A daunting task yet a question I ask - - -

That's easy Stynxx, just go along to www.wizardofozorchestralscore.net

No actually I don't have a clue...the above is just fantasy!

Sorry

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Here's the question. Where can I possibly find the full score? Got any idea? Got a link? Got a source? Got Milk?
    Also, there well be a need for help with this project. If you are interested drop me an email.
    There are several different stage versions of Wizard of Oz already available. Tams-Witmark owns the rights to the version everyone knows (i.e., the one with the Arlen songs from the MGM movie).

http://www.beyondtherainbow2oz.com/stagethewizard.html
    has more details about the different versions.

I suspect that you will eventually have to talk to Tams-Witmark about royalties. (MTI also rents a Wizard of Oz, but they warn you that it's a completely different adaptation.)

I have taken the position of musical director to the West Seneca Youth Theatre for one more sneezen. The new director will be scheduling The Wizard of Oz and has asked me to program and orchestrate the score. What score!
    There have been some stage musical versions of that, including The Wiz. What specifically are they buying the rights for? A play version or musical version? It should come with some kind of score if it's a musical version. If it's just a play version, then I suppose you could orchestrate whatever you want for it, which could be fun but a lot more work.

And I would be glad to help you with that, inasmuch as I can from "not Buffalo".
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Thanks guys. It will be the musical version set as close to the movie as possible. I am fully aware of Tams and MTI but was interested in obtaining more of a "full" score than just the burdening piano vocal condensed score. There has to be some entity that has it somewhere!
    Frank, I check that link and it took be to a poppy field some where outside of Kansas. Not your private crop is it?
    There was a book out that taught how to orchestrate from a condensed piano vocal score. Has anyone ever seen or have this? Sorry, it was quite some time ago and I do not remember the tittle and author.
    Styxx

I am fully aware of Tams and MTI but was interested in obtaining more of a "full" score than just the burdening piano vocal condensed score. There has to be some entity that has it somewhere!
    I'm surprised that the piano-conductor score that comes with the rehearsal materials doesn't come with some (incomplete) annotation of who is playing what. Tams-Witmark lists the instrumentation at their web site:

http://www.tams-witmark.com/musicals/wizardrsc.html
    http://www.tams-witmark.com/musicals/wizard.html

Musicals tend not to have proper scores published. (Musicals by Leonard Bernstein seem to be an exception.) I suspect you'd have to rent the orchestations from Tams and put one together yourself (and in the process discover lots of discrepancies) if you really wanted one, given the copyright status of the material. This was probably not what you had in mind.

As you said, an alternative is to orchestrate for yourself. No real suggestions here as I'm in the midst of learning to do this in my spare time.

Hey, Styxxmeister:

I've done a fair amount of these I-can't-locate-the-master-score orchestration projects. What's seemed to work well is this: I fly an MP3 of a segment into my GPO master orchestral template in Sonar 3. I adjust tempi to correspond as closely as possible to the original, making markers as I go. Then I'll work up my GPOrchestration section-by-section, comparing my mockup to the original.

Yes, it's much more time consuming than if you were reading off a conductor's score. But if none is available, it's the next best thing.

Go Back to forum