• Register
  • Help

Topic: new to garritan... questions

Share/Bookmark

new to garritan... questions

I just bought the GOP and as I was using it today, I ran into a problem that I'm not sure how to fix. First off, there were 2 notes in particular that all I did was just hold down the key on my keyboard and when I ran the midi through GOP, the volume kept jumping on the note during the duration of the hold. I couldn't figure out what to do so I just ended up deleting those 2 notes.

2nd, I tried to take an orchestra piece I wrote a few weeks back and reproduce in in GOP. Originally, I did everything in my Yamaha Motif rack and I thought it turned out nicely. As I tried to redo it in GOP, the strings didn't sound nearly as full, so I guess that means I have to add layers of the ensembles to get the same fullness? Overall, it seems like the samples are more realistic than the motif, but I think that if I want the same richness of the motif, I'll have to layer in a ton of tracks

Also, is there any way to control the vibrato on the samples at all? Thanks.

Re: new to garritan... questions

cakewalkr7,

Welcome to the forum. I would like to help but first need a little more information. Are you using GPO or GOS (you said GOP - political slip )

If you are using GPO, are you using is as a plugin, in say, cakewalk (like your names suggests), and if so as a DXi or a VST? Or as a standalone?

If you did the strings in Motif, they are probably not responding to mod wheel dynamics. You can try using the included MIDI file translator or the MFX/Sonar plug-ins on the website. You see, many of the instruments use continuous dynamic controls whereas most other samplers use discrete note velocity. You can draw controller curves or record them in and you'll have a better sound. It's a different way to do things, but one you try it I think you'll see it is a superior approach.

GPO has a great deal of flexibility and options to achieve the string sound you are after. There are section strings (lush as well as sustains) and solo string patches that can be combined. In a real concert you often hear the concertmaster and first chairs float on top of the rest of the strings. What makes string performances sound fantastic is layering solo strings on top of section strings so they weave in and out. This is a trick that Jeremy Soule and other composers use.

Another way to achieve a good string section sound is to just build a section from the ground up. As shown from Nicoles demos (and tutorial) demo, you can build a string orchestras from individual stringed instruments. Instead of block chords with fixed sections, each instrument lives and breathes and does its own musical thing. This cannot be done with any other library.

So with GPO you have 1) large section samples, 2) plently of individual stringed instruments to make your own sections, or 3) a combination of the above.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Gary, woops, yeah, I meant GPO. Sorry. Anyway, I'm using it as a DXi in Sonar.

I just noticed the midi translator, so I'm going to give that a try tomorrow to see if that does anything. I did try drawing in the curves and that definitely helped give the strings some more life. But it seemed like the beginning and mainly the ends of the notes just sounded like I was simply letting up on a keyboard key, rather than stopping a bow on a string.

Is there a technique for making every other note of a melody line sound like an alternate bow? Not that it sounds bad right now... I'm just curious about the options. I've gone through a large portion of the manual, but I don't remember seeing that. Let me know if I missed it. Thanks Gary!

BTW, I didn't at all mean for the post to sound like I was bashing GPO in favor of Motif. Sorry if it came across that way. GPO is a fantastic product and I definitely do look forward to getting into more orchestra type comps.

cakewalkr7

I figured you meant GPO - although GOP version is for all this Republicans. Sonar and GPO work great together. Use GPO as a VSTi rather than DXi. It seems to work better as a VST and avoids the tempo bug in Sonar (where notes get stuck out)

Here's a tutorial to help you get started. http://www.fallofautumn.com/GPO-Sonar-Tutorial.htm
    We also have a GPO-Sonar page to help - http://www.garritan.com/GPO-SonarPage.html

The standalone GPO MIDI file translator "Standard MIDI File Translator" was specially designed to help convert note velocity volume to CC#! Mod Wheel volume so that it would be possible to use GPO with Standard MIDI files.

Instead of using the standalone GPO MIDI translator, it may be easier to use two plugins designed for use in Sonar:
    Dan Hristodorescu wrote a Sonar plugin that can convert existing standard MIDI files to be used with GPO by mapping velocity to CC#1. After you translate a standard MIDI file into a GPO optimized file, your playback of that midi sequence with GPO will be improved immensely. Here is the link to Dan's plugin: http://www.garritan.com/support/GPO_...LEASE1.1.1.ZIP

Also Markleford Friedman wrote an MFX plugin that does the same thing by effectively making the "Standard MIDI File Translator" an MFX Plug-in. To use, simply load up a standard MIDI file in your MFX-capable host, point the output at GPO, and add the plugin to the MIDI tracks that you want to translate. By default, MFX Velocity to CC defaults to substituting Modulation Wheel (CC#1) messages for velocity over the entire velocity range. Here is the link http://www.garritan.com/support/TcMfxVelocityToCc10.zip

The alternating bowing for the solo strings is decribed in the manual. - page 11. Pedal up is one bow stroke and pedal down is the other.

You're well on your way. I am looking forward to hearing the masterpeices you create with GPO. Let us know if we can be of further help.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by cakewalkr7
    Gary, woops, yeah, I meant GPO. Sorry. Anyway, I'm using it as a DXi in Sonar.

Well, I advise using the mapping plug it, easier, faster, more versatile. I would also use the VSTi version rather than DXi, as it seems to me to work more smoothly, just like selecting any other synth using Sonar. Less clutter, no need to link midi track to audio track.

Richard Wayland

Gary, thanks. Actually, the tutorial you mention located at http://www.fallofautumn.com/GPO-Sonar-Tutorial.htm is the one I started with and it actually says to use the DXi version. I'll play with the VST one though. I'll let you know when I get this done so you can let me know if there are things you hear that I could do differently to get a more realistic sound. Thanks everyone for your advice!

Go Back to forum